Cannot Access Shares from windows

BarMed

Cadet
I have FreeNas 11.2-U6 installed and using it as a Plex Server (using the built in PlexPass Service).

I was able to access the datasets from my windows PCs up until two days ago when I restarted all of my equipment. When I restarted the FreeNas box, the SMB service did not start. I did some research and did a reset on the Samba configuration Link: https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/smb-service-failed-to-start.74693/page-2

Now that has been done S<B is running but I cannot login from any of my windows PC. From my windows 10 pc, when I try to access one of the Shares using the IP address and share name, enter an id and password that is on the FreeNas box, I get:

1573934348169.png

On the Windows 7 PC I get Access id denied.

I use the Plex Dvr and aas far as I know Plex is still working.

Since I am so new to the Linux OS I am still learning all of the ins and outs (Been using microsoft since the original DOS days).

Any help on getting my access back so i can place more home videos in my Plex will be great.

Just let me know what information I need to post.

Thanks.

MrAnderson

Dabbler
Howdy BarMed,

Did you check the permissions on your pool and dataset ? The user you are trying to login with does the account have permission to access the share ?

BarMed

Cadet
Here are screen shots of the Permissions on the shares. I know there is probably a better way to get this but this is what I know at the moment.

I have tried to login from Windows 7 and Windows 10 using either barry or plex as the usernames (screen shots of the accounts and groups are also below). When I try to connect to Backup1, for example, from Windows 10, I can see the share. When mounting the share as a network drive I get the message " You do not have permission to access \\192.168.254.65\Backup1\." As I stated in the original post, it worked before I had to kill the Samba Folder.

Let me know if there is a better way to display this information instead of screenshots. Which ever is best for posting.

1573967358922.png

1573967424540.png

1573967464064.png

1573967523212.png

1573967553468.png

1573967587907.png

1573967619194.png

Accounts:

1573968037762.png

1573968071434.png

Groups related to the users. Both groups are configured the same.

1573968116505.png

MrAnderson

Dabbler
if the above solution does not work for you ... I'm not sure if this solution will work for you - under services > smb add "ntlm auth = yes" under auxiliary parameters.

BarMed

Cadet
I ran the command and I can connect to the Backup1. Right now it shows no files. Do I need to do the same command on the directories below that? Here is a file list of the mnt directory:

Code:
drwxrwxr-x+  3 barry  wheel   4 Nov 16 13:43 Backup1
-rw-r--r--   1 root   wheel   5 Sep 21 20:04 md_size
drwxrwx---+ 11 plex   plex   12 Sep 22 21:57 Media
drwxrwx---+  5 plex   plex    6 Sep 23 00:25 NASData1

Directories Below Backup1
Code:
-rwxrwx---+ 1 barry  wheel  0 Aug  2 20:34 .windows
drwxrwx---+ 4 barry  wheel  5 Sep 12 23:24 Backup1

Code:
total 18
-rwxrwx---+  1 barry  wheel   0 Aug  2 20:33 .windows
drwxrwx---+ 10 barry  wheel  10 Sep 13 01:22 MediaLibrary
drwxrwx---+  3 barry  wheel  44 Sep  2 15:07 Video

Thanks

BarMed

Cadet
Sorry to say I did not.

I am not certain which route to take to resolve the issue. The permission change suggested by anados worked for the top level directory. I am a little hesitant to go any further for fear of messing up my plex permissions for the plex dvr.

From research I have done I think I am missing the samba4 directory. As I understand it, there should be a config file for Samba that contains the permissions for the samba users.

Any suggestions are greatly welcome as I would really like to get this issue corrected.

Thanks is advance for help.

Aqualung

Cadet
Sorry you have not been able to fix it. I am setting up a Freenas server for the first time this week. I have tried from scratch five times. I have been through the written guide and the videos. My settings are identical, aside from the names, that you have. In fact each time I have set everything up it looks the same as last time. But I keep getting the network error box each time.
I can share files between W10 devices withoutany problem.
If I find a fix then I will post it here, but at the moment I am erring on the side of giving up on it.
I will give it another day or two

STM4EVA

Cadet
Run the command setfacl -m everyone@:rxaRc::allow /mnt/Backup1
thanks mate, I upgraded to TrueNas and it stripped all the permissions out of my SMB shares, after hours of fiddling about with the GUI your command is the only thing that worked.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
thanks mate, I upgraded to TrueNas and it stripped all the permissions out of my SMB shares, after hours of fiddling about with the GUI your command is the only thing that worked.
This command fixing an issue implies that permissions on the zpool mountpoint were perhaps changed from the CLI. Did you perhaps run chmod 770 on /mnt/<pool-name>? There are some quite bad how-to guides on the internet that recommend doing this (removing the other-execute bit), which results in generally making shares inaccessible.

STM4EVA

Cadet
Hi I never touched the CLI till I ran that command. Everything I tried before that was from the GUI and involved recreating users\groups\ stripping out ACL and doing new ones etc.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi I never touched the CLI till I ran that command. Everything I tried before that was from the GUI and involved recreating users\groups\ stripping out ACL and doing new ones etc.
Did you run command on zpool mountpoint "/mnt/tank" (not child dataset)? If so, is that path an SMB share (clients can potentially change ACL on a path)?

STM4EVA

Cadet
Yea I ran the command on my dataset which was an smb share. After that I was back in. I'll need to brush up on CLI commands as they seem a lot more effective