Cannot access home share. I am able to access all other shares.

costwisewpg

Cadet
Hello,

Before I start, please know that I am totally ignorant. This was setup for me by a small company the suddenly closed.

FreeNAS V11.2-U3 build date: Mar 27, 2019 18:24

Here's the issue.

There are several shares that were setup for me. Data, Backup, Multimedia, and Home.

Looking under Sharing -> Windows (SMB) Shares, I do see Data, Backup, Multimedia, and Home.

Editing Data (for example), all the settings are identical as when editing Home with the exception that "Use as home share" is checked when editing the Home share.

I can log into Data, Backup, and Multimedia with full control over files.

I cannot log into Home.

It's my understanding that the UID and password should be the same for all 4 shares.

So basically, I've tried nothing and I'm all out of ideas.

Thoughts?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hello,

Before I start, please know that I am totally ignorant. This was setup for me by a small company the suddenly closed.

FreeNAS V11.2-U3 build date: Mar 27, 2019 18:24

Here's the issue.

There are several shares that were setup for me. Data, Backup, Multimedia, and Home.

Looking under Sharing -> Windows (SMB) Shares, I do see Data, Backup, Multimedia, and Home.

Editing Data (for example), all the settings are identical as when editing Home with the exception that "Use as home share" is checked when editing the Home share.

I can log into Data, Backup, and Multimedia with full control over files.

I cannot log into Home.

It's my understanding that the UID and password should be the same for all 4 shares.

So basically, I've tried nothing and I'm all out of ideas.

Thoughts?
[home] is a special type of share. It dynamically creates a share based on the currently authenticated user. In windows it will appear under as \\SERVER\HOMES and \\SERVER\<username>. In non-default configurations it will only appear in the browse list as \\SERVER\<username> but still be accessible at the former address. The actual share path will be the path to the share with the username appended to it /mnt/dozer/homes/anodos (for instance). Whether you're able to access the share or not depends on the permissions of /mnt/dozer, /mnt/dozer/homes and /mnt/dozer/anodos in this example. If the full path to the share does not exist, then you will also not be able to access it.