Can you add a CPU Core to a FreeNAS VM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgilbert37

Cadet
Howdy,

I originally set up my FreeNAS VM according to the install sheet, with 1Gb RAM and 1 CPU Core. Performance metrics dictated it needed more resources so I added memory to total 4Gb. That improved performance but I'd like to add another CPU core.

Will this hose my VM? Will FreeNAS even see it?

Thanks a lot!
Chris

Config: Dell R610, dual quad core CPUs, w/48gb Ram, 3TB SAS all in RAID5 for 2.4Tb useable. This is just my home server. Base OS is ESXi 5.5. FreeNAS is one of the VMs with a 4Gb OS partition and UFS partitions.

Jason Hamilton

Contributor
I don't have an honest answer for you on this. But what I would do is make a snap shot of your VM before you add the core. This way if worst comes to worst you can just role back your snapshot. Or build out another VM and test it there as well :)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you are doing RDM or PCI Passthrough snapshots aren't possible.

But I can tell you that adding/removing vCPUs won't break FreeNAS. Just do a shutdown, add or remove cores, then turn it back on. I don't recommend you give FreeNAS more than 50% of the total number of cores or performance will become intermittent(its an ESXi thing).

cgilbert37

Cadet
Thanks guys!

So, I took a snapshot and added one core. It has 1 CPU with 2 cores now. AND.... It worked beautifully. FreeNAS picked up on the additional core and now it's running like a top.

Status
Not open for further replies.