SOLVED Can see FreeNAS in Network but can't write to storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off. Let start by saying that I have read and read and read some more on how to set up permissions in CIFS and I still can't seem to get this to work. I've worked through multiple problems and gone from having absolutely nothing working to 'almost' having everything sorted. I just can't seem to get write permissions to the storage partition on my freenas device.

My scenario is that I just want 2 home directories. 1 for myself, and 1 for my girlfriend.
It would be nice if we could connect via password (in Windows) to each of our home directories (but it is not at all required).

That's it. I don't need anything else. Just the ability to save to the storage partition for both my girlfriend and I.

I could list all the stuff I've tried but I doubt it matters. I guess all I will say that is probably helpful is that I've tried guest, guest only options. I've deleted and recreated users and volumes etc. Nothing seems to actually give me write permissions to the storage partition. I've also tried setting permissions in Windows (access is denied which I guess is understandable, it's gotta be done via the FreeNAS interface). Oh and it goes without saying that I've basically memorised the Wiki and rebooted the server umpteen times.

I'm open to all suggestions. What I want to set up should really be quiet simple. Unfortunately I don't have a Mac or Linux device to check the share with either. Just both my Windows devices.

Would any lovely soul please give me a hand in slotting in this final piece of the puzzle?

P.S There's also a directory in the network location called 'homes' that I can't, for the life of me seem to be able to access OR remove. I don't want it there but no matter if I delete all datasheets, users/groups etc.

Thanks in advance! :)

Redcoat

MVP
EDIT: Looks like I got it worked out. My issue was that I kept forgetting to start the SMB service after making the data set so it wasn't serving the shared volume/data set. Seems to have been worked out now. The moment I started the service with the permissions set in that video, I was able to log in with the username and passwords I set up. Yay!

I do have one weird little error though listed below. It's to do with making home directories. Seems that there's a permissions issue when doing that. Not super important but if anyone can point out why it happens I'd be grateful to know.

Here's the readout from shell:

w1ayrOK.png

Last edited:

garm

Wizard
What's your CIFS setup? The mix of terms is making it hard to understand what you have done and the network paths doesn't really tell what is happening on the server

And saying you run 2 disks in raid1 makes me worried.. please do tell more

Last edited:
What's your CIFS setup? The mix of terms is making it hard to understand what you have done and the network paths doesn't really tell what is happening on the server

And saying you run 2 disks in raid1 makes me worried.. please do tell more

I got it sorted garm.

But now you've made me curious. Why does running 2 disks in Raid1 worry you? It was the automatic suggestion by FreeNAS when setting up the system. Currently I'm able to copy over at line speed (1gbps). Also the only other option I could even choose was Raid0 which offers zero redundancy, and doesn't give me any better performance because I'm already able to write at max speed on Raid1 AND keep redundancy.

Evertb1

Guru
I got it sorted garm.

But now you've made me curious. Why does running 2 disks in Raid1 worry you? It was the automatic suggestion by FreeNAS when setting up the system. Currently I'm able to copy over at line speed (1gbps). Also the only other option I could even choose was Raid0 which offers zero redundancy, and doesn't give me any better performance because I'm already able to write at max speed on Raid1 AND keep redundancy.
Maybe he is worried because your are using words like Raid0 and Raid1. The best you can do is read up on the ZFS file system and Raidz configurations and start with this:
https://doc.freenas.org/11/zfsprimer.html
and expand your knowledge from there

Last edited:

Redcoat

MVP
Glad you got the sharing sorted out. Is this any help on "homes"?

garm

Wizard
I got it sorted garm.

But now you've made me curious. Why does running 2 disks in Raid1 worry you?

Well the term RAID1 will never appear in FreeNAS, or ZFS. We instead talk about stripes, mirrors and RAIDZ. The latter would have parity. Mirror will have 1:1 redundancy and stripe writes to all disks in a pool individually.

When people use terms like RAID1 and so on (atleast without further explanation) is immediately sounds like ZFS was set up on top of hardware RAID (which happens a lot for some reason). This then causes worry and the ask for more information.

But as you clarified you set it up in FreeNAS, so I'll assume you mean mirror vdev ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.