Can not import pool with one missing device

migi

Cadet
Hi,

I did build recently the FreeNAS 11.3-U1 with the following setup:
  • Supermicro A2SDI-2C-HLN4F
  • Corsair SF450 80+ Platinum
  • Samsung 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2400T (M393A4K40CB1-CRC4Q)
  • 2x 2TB WD Black WD2002FAEX
  • 2x 4TB Seagate Desktop HDD.15 (ST4000DM000)
  • 1x 10TB Seagate Exos X10 Enterprise (ST10000NM0086)
  • Fractal Design Node 304
System is running from USB3 key Samsung 64GB BAR Plus Champagne that is connected to the onboard USB3.0 port.

I was planning to keep the following layout:
pool: first - 2 x 2TB that is running in simple mirror
pool: second - 2 x 4TB that is running in simple mirror
pool: third - 10TB that is used for periodic sync of snapshots from pool first and second

Everything works really great, but during setup one of my HDDs failed (one of the 4TB Seagate). Smart test was showing errors so I decided to change it, but when I unplugged the disk and then started the system without it the pool was not visible.

Trying to import pool I got the core dump from zpool import firstpool.

I tried to use different flags while doing import (do not mount / without log device / recovery mode) but same core dump.

I wonder if this is general issue and the pool can't be imported when one of the simple mirror devices is gone, but that would mean when one of the disks fails completely then pool is gone as well which defeats mirror purpose that should work when one device is not accessible or in error.

It's simple to reproduce by connecting two devices, creating pool with mirror-0 shutting down system, removing one of the devices and then starting system with one only device.

sretalla