Can no longer access plugin management screens or folder shares

chravis

Contributor
Ok so I've really screwed something up. I've had my FreeNas server up and running for a few months now and it's been chugging along pretty flawlessly storing files, and running the Plex and MineOS plugins. I set it up after lots of questions here and lots of googling and watching tutorials. I got it running but I wouldn't say I'm a guru.
Then my wife says she is running out of storage on her iPhone. Oh but I've got a server running in my closet, let's go install Nextcloud! So I first watched a video. Seemed pretty painless. But then everything went to crap once I tried it myself and I'm not real sure how to debug things or what direction I should take.
Here's the steps the best I can recall:
1. I installed the Nextcloud plugin. It installed.
2. I clicked the Management link and it opened the management screen.
3. I then realized I didn't set up a new dataset like I wanted to.
4. I rewatched this video, setting up a new dataset and setting user permissions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETdlrNUGjZk
5. Went back to the plugin and clicked the Management link, and it sent me to the FreeNas login screen. Weird! I logged in, but of course now I just had a another freenas screen in a new browser window. It does this every time.
6. So, I deleted the plugin and the dataset and started over.
7. Now, the plugin management screen just says "This site cannot be reached." Connection refused.
8. Not only that, I'm now getting the same error with my Plex and MineOS management screens.
9. Not only that, I cannot access my shares from my windows laptop any more (they were mapped network drives with stored credentials).

I checked my Windows Firewall logs and don't see any refused or dropped connections. My Plex server is also no longer available through Roku or any other device.

Does anyone have any ideas? I kind of suspect permissions, but I'm not sure how permissions for everything would have gotten changed. And yes, it says my plugins are running.

Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Are you sure you deleted the correct dataset? It sounds like you nuked your jails dataset and killed all your plugins.

chravis

Contributor
@Jailer - that's a good thought. But after looking at it, I still see the plex and mineos datasets under iocage in the Storage/Pools section:
1568941055561.png

chravis

Contributor
Ok here's another tidbit of detail, which is making me think it's related to permissions. I'm not entirely sure how I screwed this up, but I managed to do so.
In the Nextcloud tutorial, he said to create the new dataset, which I did. Then I went to Edit Permissions on the new dataset and changed the user to www and unchecked the Read and Execute boxes under the Other user type.
What I noticed after all this happened was that now for my pool and 1 dataset (and 2 folders underneath), the user got changed to www, not just the new dataset I created. My problem is, I don't remember how they were set up previously.
You can see from the picture in my previous post that I don't have that much stuff: 1 pool, 1 dataset, 2 folders under that dataset. I know I created a user called fn_user that was assigned to those two folders, but I can't remember the user that is supposed to have access to the Pool itself and the dataset. Maybe it's root?

chravis

Contributor
Another oddity is that some buttons in the FreeNAS GUI don't seem to work anymore either. I was trying to look at the Shares because my shares to my Windows 10 machine are no longer working, but when I click on Windows (SMB) Shares nothing happens.

chravis

Contributor
I know this is all kind of vague but if anyone has had any similar experience please share, along with the solution! My biggest problem is that I don't have just one problem. So I don't know if this is a catastrophic failure that will take an OS reinstall to fix or something?
Here's the problems I see right now:
1. Setting permissions on a brand new dataset apparently set permissions to everything. Not sure how/why that happened.
2. The FreeNAS gui itself doesn't seem to behave the same. I can't view the Windows Shares that I had set up (the button doesn't do anything when I click it). The GUI used to save my login credentials, but now it asks me to log in every time I bring up the browser.
3. None of my plugins work anymore (Plex and MineOS). I can't bring up the plugin gui (refused to connect error in the browser).
4. When all this happened, I could no longer reach the shares from my Windows laptop.

What I've done so far:
1. Edited the permissions on my pool and set the user to Root (because I can't recall what it was before) and clicked the "recursive" button because why not. Things are already broke.
2. Then changed the permissions on my dataset to my fn_user that I created. That is the user I had previously used to connect to the shares from my windows laptop. After doing that, I can now connect to one of the folders under the dataset (I have two shares - media and documents). I can connect to the media folder, but not the documents folder. Maybe this is a Windows problem, but when I try to map the network drive it keeps telling me that connection is already being used or something like that.
3. I have rebooted the whole system a few times, stopped/started the plugins and jails a few times.

What I have not done:
1. Reinstall the plugins themselves. The only reason I haven't done this yet is because my problems don't seem to be just with my plugins. So even if I get those fixed, I think I will still have problems.
2. Reinstall the OS.
3. Learn all about config backups and the like.
4. Learn all about snapshots.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Root:wheel is default and if you changed that on your jails dataset that would explain why none of your plugins are working.

chravis

Contributor
Thanks @Jailer , so if I changed everything back to root:wheel, is there any reason why things still wouldn't work?

chravis

Contributor
It's been a few weeks since I followed up on this. I am still unsure how everything got so screwy but it looks like permissions were not my friend.
I got my SMB shares working again, then reinstalled the PlexPass and MineOS plugins and now things are working again.
Now I need to take some time doing research on backups/snapshots/etc.