Can I connect FreeNAS to my PC via USB?

ohboi

Dabbler
Is it possible to set up some of the available USBs to change host/slave role in FreeNAS and make it possible to connect my PC to NAS (ideally via USB 3.1 Gen2..or at least 3.0) directly, basically as a DAS? I have a fast connection and internal 1GbE, so I can imagine bottlenecking the possible performance when I have some big downloads from Internet.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Nope that's not good to work. You need to use Ethernet transport to make it work. It's designed to use smb, nfs for data transfer. You will be perfectly fine with your gigabit Ethernet. You can get 10gig if you want it's pretty cheap now.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Is it possible to set up some of the available USBs to change host/slave role in FreeNAS and make it possible to connect my PC to NAS (ideally via USB 3.1 Gen2..or at least 3.0) directly, basically as a DAS? I have a fast connection and internal 1GbE, so I can imagine bottlenecking the possible performance when I have some big downloads from Internet.
It might help if you gave some background on the hardware of both the NAS and your computer. We could suggest a workable upgrade path, but as SweetAndLow indicated, USB is not an option.
Here is a guide that will give you some indication of the kind of data you should share:

Forum Guidelines
https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/forum-guidelines.45124/

kdragon75

Wizard
In theroy this is possible with some USB chips and ctld but is in now way supported or even possible without hacking up FreeNAS. Just get two 10bg cards and be done. Don't reinvent the wheel.