Can I add a 10GbE card to my server?

thepixelgeek

Patron
It sounds like a simple enough question, but I don't fully understand lanes and PCI-E slots.

My CPU states 16 lanes, so thinking since I've only used the x8 slot 7 for my controller card, and if the 10GbE card is x8, I should be fine?

Taking a look at the block diagram confuses me more, I think. EDIT: Is the CPU only controlling slot 6 & 7? Does that mean I can add an x8 NIC?

Hoping my 14 drives via SATA aren't consuming lanes?

Card recommendations appreciated?

System Specs:
Supermicro MBD-X11SSM-F - 14 total drives SATA
Intel Xeon E3-1230 v5 SkyLake 3.4 GHz - 16 lanes
IBM M1015 SAS/SATA Controller 46M0831 - connected on Slot 7 PCIE x8 (closest to cpu)

1581287243606.png

Last edited:

MikeyG

Patron
That diagram shows the chipset has its own separate set of PCIe lanes, so you can use 8 for the HBA and 8 for the NIC (16 of the CPU lanes in slot 6 and 7) without worrying about it. Your SATA connectors are using the lanes on the chipset.

It does look like two of the X8 slots (slots 4 and 5)are wired for X4 lanes off the PCH, so there are some bandwidth limitations there in terms of the slots, and also through the DMI to the CPU. But unless you are going to put in a 3rd card like another HBA, or move the NIC to one of those slots (which would probably be fine) I don't think you have anything to worry about.

troybs1d

Dabbler
Each PCIe 2.0 lane can do 400MB/s throughput so 1x 10Gb port in theory can handle 1280MB/s so figure 3x PCIe 2.0 lanes. PCIe 3.0 is double the speed of PCIe 2.0 so only 2x PCIe 3.0 lanes are required per 10Gb port. A 4x PCIe 3.0 connector can handle 3200MB/s (in theory of course) so 2x 10Gb port card should be fine. 10GbE (aka RJ45 port) is becoming much more common nowadays but still a bit of a premium where as SPF+ port based solutions are much cheaper especially for hardware on the used market (aka eBay). If you have short runs (up to 7M/21ft or less) you can use premade (passive) Twinax DAC cables which generally are fairly cheap. Most 10Gb cards get hot but in your iStarUSA chassis with the fans mid-chassis that should be adequate.