Call for Testing: NAKIVO Backup and Replication Plugin

NAKIVO

Cadet
About NAKIVO

NAKIVO is a US corporation founded in 2012. It develops fast and reliable data protection software for virtual and cloud environments. Nowadays, the company has a global presence with over 10 000 customers worldwide and 4 000 channel partners in 140 countries.

Product Description

NAKIVO Backup & Replication is a fast and reliable solution providing data protection for VMware, Microsoft Hyper-V, AWS EC2, and Nutanix AHV virtual environments. The product performs image-based, application-aware VM backups, backup copies, and replications. It can also perform site recovery as well as instant recovery of VMs, individual files or application objects.

The product consists of two main components: the Director, a central management instance of the product, and the Transporter which performs backup, replication, recovery as well as data compression, deduplication, and encryption. Users can choose to install both components (full solution) or the Transporter only.

The Director is the central management instance of the product: it provides the Web interface, discovers and maintains the inventory, provides the ability to create and run jobs, manages backup repositories as well as Transporters, and so on. Only one instance of the Director should be installed per customer. As a central management point for data protection, one instance of the Director can manage multiple geographically distributed virtual and cloud environments, backup repositories, and Transporters.

The Transporter is the product component that does all of the heavy lifting: it performs backup, replication, and recovery, as well as data compression, deduplication, and encryption. An instance of the Transporter is automatically installed along with the Director to enable backup, replication, and recovery out of the box. In most cases, it is sufficient to deploy only one Transporter per site. In large environments, where multiple source items should be processed simultaneously, multiple Transporters can be deployed to distribute the workload.

Key Features and Benefits
  • High Backup Efficiency. Accelerate backup process by creating forever incremental backups, enabling network acceleration, and using LAN-free data transfer.
  • Storage Space Reduction. Save storage space by using data compression and data deduplication features when creating backup jobs.
  • Instant Data Recovery. Recover an entire VM, individual files or applications directly from compressed and deduplicated backups. Export VM disks across platforms in order to recover VMware VMs to a Microsoft Hyper-V environment or vice versa.
  • Faster ROI and Lower TCO. Save up to 75% on licensing and maintenance costs.
  • Easy and Simple Management. Reduce management complexity with a simple and intuitive Web interface.
  • Automatic backup verification. Verify backups and get email reports with OS screenshots of test-recovered VMs.
System Requirements

NAKIVO has provided NAKIVO Backup & Replication Plugin that can operate on FreeNAS 11.2 and higher.
  1. Minimum FreeNAS Hardware
VM or Physical Machine

NAKIVO Backup & Replication Plugin can be installed on a FreeNAS machine with the following minimum spare hardware resources:
  • Director and Onboard Transporter:
    • CPU: x86-64, 2 cores
    • RAM: 4 GB + 250 MB for each concurrent job
    • Free storage space: 10 GB
  • Transporter only:
    • CPU: x86-64, 2 cores
    • RAM: 2 GB + 250 MB for each concurrent job
    • Free storage space: 5 GB
For more information about system requirements, refer to NAKIVO Help Center.

Licensing
Users can use a free 15-day trial of FreeNAS-based NAKIVO backup solution. The Trial license has no functional limitations. When the trial period expires, the product functionality will be disabled. To extend the trial period or upgrade the product to the edition that suits your needs, contact NAKIVO.

Pricing for NAKIVO Backup & Replication licenses is provided here.

Installation

To install NAKIVO Backup & Replication Plugin on a FreeNAS, follow the instructions provided in NAKIVO User Guide.

Maintenance and Support
NAKIVO maintenance and support includes software updates and technical support provided through support bundles and direct communication with NAKIVO support team representatives. It is offered for a limited period and cannot exceed NAKIVO Backup & Replication license expiration period.

When NAKIVO Backup & Replication is licensed on a perpetual basis, Maintenance & Support is provided for one year by default. If you need to extend your Maintenance & Support period, you can do it for an extra fee when purchasing a NAKIVO Backup & Replication perpetual license.

To learn more about NAKIVO Backup & Replication, licensing, pricing, and support, please visit the company’s website or contact one of the NAKIVO sales representatives.

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
Hey everyone,

I've authorized this post from NAKIVO as it pertains to a new plugin they're developing for FreeNAS.

Thanks!

JoshDW19

Snow

Patron
Will look forward to the plug in. Is there a port of this on github?

Delgado0924

Cadet
I've been using the plugin available on NAKIVO's site for a couple of weeks now and it's working great so far.

gwaitsi

Patron
does it support backup to a usb drive for offsite storage? is there a cost to home users, or is it office source?

Estevan

Cadet
We have just released NAKIVO Backup & Replication 8.0 and entered the market of enterprise-grade disaster recovery solutions. This latest version includes advanced Site Recovery functionality, which is a powerful disaster recovery tool for VMware, Hyper-V, and AWS EC2 environments.

gwaitsi

Patron
We have just released NAKIVO Backup & Replication 8.0 and entered the market of enterprise-grade disaster recovery solutions. This latest version includes advanced Site Recovery functionality, which is a powerful disaster recovery tool for VMware, Hyper-V, and AWS EC2 environments.
does it support replication / backup to USB drives?

sretalla