Building new Freenas Server, stuck on fan control

FreeNASUKGuy

Cadet
Hi,

I have purchased an 8 bay 2U xcase but having issues figuring out how to control the fans via the motherboard.. The case has a single 6 pin cable coming from the SAS backplane splitting out to a 4 pin, 1 pin and 1pin cables... I figured that id connect the 4 pin from the sas backplane to the motherboards CPU fan header but i`m not sure if this is wise or even the correct way of getting this working... Trying also to locate any info on this case/backplane, anyone else familiar with an RM2108-660-HT/HTS or xcase 2U chassis?

Pics attached for details :)

Cheers!

Attachments

• thumbnail_image1.jpg
    thumbnail_image1.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 256
  • thumbnail_image2.jpg
    thumbnail_image2.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 277
  • thumbnail_image3.jpg
    thumbnail_image3.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 252

Stevie_1der

Explorer
It seems there are 3 fans connected to the backplane.
The connector with 4 pins populated is just like a normal 4 pin fan connector, but additionally controls the 2 other fans.
This connector provides power, ground and pwm speed control signal for all 3 fans, and has a tacho output for one fan.
The two other connectors with 1 populated pin provide just the tacho signal.
So each fan speed can be monitored individually.

You can just connect the 3 cables to 3 free fan headers on your mainboard.
If you have less available, be sure to connect the one with all 4 pins.

FreeNASUKGuy

Cadet
Hi,

Excellent thanks for the reply. I have connected the CPU to a spare fan header on the motherboard and then this white cable from the chassis into the CPU fan header on the motherboard, set to standard in the bios for fan control and it`s nice and quiet now spinning up only when the cpu load increases which is perfect for me.

Cheers,