Bootable USB

Bill McFarland

Dabbler
Can someone explain what program and how they went about creating a Bootable USB stick for FreeNas... Everything I've tried in windows 10 has not worked...

Redcoat

MVP
I recently used Win32 Disk Imager to make some boot sticks from the iso.

Select the ISO file name in the space for Image File, select the USB in Device and hit "Write".

Done.

I have used Rufus and BalenaEtcher too in the past.

Bill McFarland

Dabbler
I tried Rufus and Win32 Disk Imager and neither one works for me... I don't get why it works for others and not me... Help...

Redcoat

MVP
To what are you writing (old/new sticks, quality, etc.?), USB 2 or 3, what are your symptoms of "it not working", what version of FreeNAS, have you verified the checksum of the download?

Bill McFarland

Dabbler
I'm trying to use Rufus-3.8 to make a bootable FreeNas stick using FreeNas 11.3 off of the FreeNas Site... I have 5 Different USB sticks using in a USB 3.0 slot on my computer running Windows 10 Home... Once I use Rufus to write the Iso to the USB stick the drive is not readable in both Windows 10 or Ubuntu Linux..

Redcoat

MVP
Well, I don't think you should expect it to be. AFAIK it's a zfs disk. Have you tried to boot a machine with it/them?

Heracles

Wizard
Everything I've tried in windows 10 has not worked...

Sorry about that... I completely dropped Windows more than 10 years ago....

Do you have an hypervisor installed in your Windows ? If you do, you can create yourself a Linux VM and do it from there...

Bill McFarland

Dabbler
RedCoat you are the man... I put the USB stick in my NAS and it booted up.... Amazing windows 10 will read the info on the CD Rom but not on the USB Stick... Thank you Gentlemen for the help...

pschatz100

Guru
As @Redcoat commented, the new bootable USB device is formatted for ZFS. It won't be readable unless the system you are using supports ZFS file systems. Windows does not support ZFS, and Linux does not support ZFS by default.

BR14

Dabbler
RedCoat you are the man... I put the USB stick in my NAS and it booted up.... Amazing windows 10 will read the info on the CD Rom but not on the USB Stick... Thank you Gentlemen for the help...
CD-ROMs use a different file system which is almost universally supported, so it can be read in Windows, *X, etc.