SOLVED Boot pool status is ONLINE: None.

AleksB

Dabbler
Yesterday at 5am, my FreeNAS sent me following alert.

> Boot pool status is ONLINE: None.

Somehow I wasn't asleep and noticed the alert and decided to look further into it. Web UI does not respond, ssh logins, but doesn't get to the shell prompt. File sharing, rsync and everything else worked fine. Crap!

IPMI doesn't work, so I need to get to the basement. Couldn't reboot using ctrl+alt+del, system just froze. So I reset system. It booted, but few minutes later, while I was looking around, scrub started again on freenas-boot and boom, again system froze. Aha, I though. Let's reboot again, and just in case copy geli keys, latest config database and one pwenc_secret from /data. System reset, boot, scp four files to a different system and scrub again froze system. Ok, then.. let's find a new flash drive. Do I have any available? Nope, ordering two on Amazon, delivery in a week:-( Found couple older ones, created install media, booted server, installed FreeNAS to the new flash drive. Rebooted.

Put pwenc_secret, freenas-v1.db into one directory, created geli subfolder, put keys from two pools there, tarred into single file and uploaded archive as restore to the fresh install of FreeNAS; system reboots twice and I end up with working system yet again, with alarms that I system was rebooted twice and no data and config loss.

Time wasted -- 2 hours. Why so long? Because I've spent an hour trying to login via IPMI, which requires java and there were exceptions...

So what the moral of this story?

1. Keep backups of your system configuration (I had backups, but they were couple days old)
1. Always make mirrored boot pool because you never know how long usb key will live. Previously I used one for 6+ years without issues, but this one (Sandisk Ultra Fit 32GB) didn't last even a 6 months.
1. Always scrub your pools, at least once a month.
1. Did I say about backups? Especially geli keys.

Also, need to point out, that it's a first time I had to restore system from crash, and it is first time I had geli encryption on my system. The documentation is confusing about passphrase and recovery keys. I don't think there is passphrase in my config, I don't recall setting it up, but there is mention somewhere that every time you download new keys, previous are invalidated. This is utterly confusing. Perhaps at 5-ish am I didn't detect the difference between encryption key and recovery key. But this is something I need to figure out -- will setup test VM and will play with these things over.

How was your day? Stay safe and keep backups.

hendry

Explorer
I'm having the exact same issue! My boot disk is also a Sandisk Ultra Fit. Zomg.

I don't quite understand your point of mirroring the boot pool. You mean buy two Sandisks ??

I have an old backup freenas-FreeNAS-11.3-MASTER-201909060626-20191201085534.tar which will hopefully get my going again. Omg. The time wasted. Don't even have a VGA screen in my home anymore.

AleksB

Dabbler
I don't quite understand your point of mirroring the boot pool.

Point is that if one fails, second continues to work and you don't end up with weird error. No, no more sandisk. this time got myself two samsung fit, or whatever they called.

Old backup, is better than no backup, but better keep regular backups. If you have encrypted disk -- this is especially important.

hendry

Explorer
Made a video about how I went about fixing my failed boot drive: https://youtu.be/EX1NC9HW0LI

Wish it could just backup my config to the cloud or some other remote machine daily..