Bhyve. Zvol vs Raw file

netamego

Dabbler
Hi,
I see behyve is growing up. Some people is migrating to bhyve from ESXi. I see some benchmarks and seems bhyve is a serious option. What i can't undersand is the actually diferences or pros and cons between use zvol or raw file. Seems that zvols have best performance but have "problems" with zfs snapshot feature because you need same free space on the pool that space on zvol to take the snapshot. Raw file instead have better support for snapshots but worse performance. Can someone explain the key differences?. Thanks a lot!!!

netamego

Dabbler
That's good! More people interested in the same thing! No. I haven't found reliable answer to my question.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Quoting from the documentation: https://www.ixsystems.com/documentation/freenas/11.2/virtualmachines.html#vms-raw-file

16.2.4. Raw Files
Raw Files are similar to Zvol disk devices, but the disk image comes from a file. These are typically used with existing read-only binary images of drives, like an installer disk image file meant to be copied onto a USB stick.
-----------
My text here below, not from the docs...

It's essentially the same. There are a few parameters that you can set separately from the parent dataset on a zvol, compared to a RAW file being forced to inherit from its dataset parent since it's just a file like any other.

ZVOLs are also just files stored in a special location in the filesystem, but physically on the pool/dataset where you create it. It gets special treatment per the settings you can see in the GUI when you set it up, but otherwise, it's also just a file.

ZVOLs are required in some cases, such as iSCSI to provide block storage.

netamego

Dabbler
Thanks a lot sretalla but i think the question require more tech explanation than what it's exposed in documentation. I read this doc before post to the forum.

sretalla