Bhyve RancherOS VM won't boot up

Lastb0isct

Explorer
I have a RancherOS VM that I've been using for months now and all has been fine. But all of the sudden, after rebooting the system, the VM can't boot up. When I attempt to start it from the Legacy and new WebUI. I'm running FreeNAS-11.2-RELEASE-U1. Here is the exception error:

Code:
Environment:

Software Version: FreeNAS-11.2-RELEASE-U1 (31f889bbf)
Request Method: POST
Request URL: http://192.168.1.35/legacy/vm/start/4/

Traceback:
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/exception.py" in inner
  42.             response = get_response(request)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in _legacy_get_response
  249.             response = self._get_response(request)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in _get_response
  178.             response = middleware_method(request, callback, callback_args, callback_kwargs)
File "./freenasUI/freeadmin/middleware.py" in process_view
  163.         return login_required(view_func)(request, *view_args, **view_kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/contrib/auth/decorators.py" in _wrapped_view
  23.                 return view_func(request, *args, **kwargs)
File "./freenasUI/vm/views.py" in start
  128.             c.call('vm.start', id)
File "./freenasUI/vm/views.py" in start
  128.             c.call('vm.start', id)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/client/client.py" in call
  454.             raise ClientException(c.error, c.errno, c.trace, c.extra)

Exception Type: ClientException at /legacy/vm/start/4/
Exception Value: unsupported operand type(s) for +: 'bool' and 'str'

Lastb0isct

Explorer
Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?!

EDIT: Just realized that for some reason in the new WebUI the size of the VM Raw file was not defined. When I defined it the VM turns on but it is not responsive. Going into serial or "cu -l /dev/nmdmxB" says "Connected" but then nothing else and it is unresponsive...this is quite frustrating as I had no issues before 11.2-U1. Also I notice that grub-bhyve is taking up a full CPU thread at 100% on one CPU core. So seems it is never getting past initializing the bhyve?

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

You shouldn't be getting a traceback. Which version did you update from? Have you ever run a nightlies on this system?

Lastb0isct

Explorer
I don't believe I have run nightlies on this system at all. I didn't even update my system. I've been on 11.2-U1 for some time.

D

dlavigne

In that case please create a report at redmine.ixsystems.com and post the issue number here.