Better GUI on mobiles

atlantic

Explorer
Self explanatory, but the GUI needs to scale/arrange itself better on mobile devices. While it does respond, it does so in a very clumsy and space inefficient way making it difficult to use.

Not only mobiles but smaller disks in general. The web layout on a 13" screen is painful to work with.

NickW

Cadet
I think we need to feed in a feature request for 11.3 or 12 for a further UI redesign based on responsive templates. I hope the style change between 9 and 11 is the right stepping stone for a responsive UI.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Agreed.

While a transition to a new UI was likely needed to stay current with the flavor of the month (aka dark mode), the first iterations were almost comical in terms of how badly they made use of screen real estate. It's as if the entire development squad was using 8K monitors and no one thought to test the UI for usability on a 1920x1080 or lower-pixel-count display. It's been getting better.

danb35

Hall of Famer
lavor of the month (aka dark mode)
Yeah, I don't get the popularity of dark mode, but the light theme is OK--I just wish switching to that affected the login screen too (it's not like there are multiple users to worry about). But much more than that, the old GUI was very dated, not at all responsive, not at all mobile-friendly, and using a toolkit that was long since EOL--but it did make more efficient use of space on the screen. As you say, the new GUI has been getting better, but it has some distance to go to reach parity with the old one in this regard.