Beta-3 PBI Jail won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProtoSD

MVP
The version of FreeNAS you posted above is incorrect, that is the version of freeBSD that FreeNAS is built on. I suspect you might be using FreeNAS 8.0x?. Plugins are only supported in FreeNAS 8.2 which is only available in Beta right now (Beta-3).

Jess McKenzie

Dabbler
Hey,

Why am I getting:

Apr 21 15:17:22 freenas notifier: Will not 'start' jail because jail_enable is NO.
Apr 21 15:20:52 freenas freenas[1870]: [MiddlewareError: The command /usr/local/sbin/pbi_add -e -f -o /mnt/goldFish/jail --no-checksig /var/tmp/firmware/pbifile.pbi failed: "chown: /usr/pbi: No such file or directory chmod: /usr/pbi: No such file or directory "]

ProtoSD

MVP
I havent' seen that before. What were you trying to do when it happened? Where did you see it?

ProtoSD

MVP
So when you click on the "Upload Jail PBI" button? or is it the next pop-up where you enter the location for the Jail plugin? Is it possible you downloaded the wrong plugin for the architecture you're using? For example, you installed FreeNAS x64 but got the x86 Jail plugin?

Jess McKenzie

Dabbler
Nope have checked again and its x86

and its after I upload the file,

Sorry I am getting caught up on my sound card issue driving me crazy

jm0

Cadet
same problem

Having exact same problem. Have followed the tutorial and double checked everything. Plugin service will not start.

Apr 22 15:46:20 freenas notifier: Will not 'start' jail because jail_enable is NO.

borisattva

Dabbler
+1 on the issue.

saw the video as well but it was too outdated (notably the checksum code is no longer required when installing the plugin pbi)
instead i followed this guide to the letter: http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Plugins

on the UI end, the installation simply goes away, but when i try to enable the Plugins service, it remains off, with a brief message flashing at the top saying service could not be started. from guide found how to access the log and came across the error message.

also, suggestion, don't make the error message disappear automatically in case its being attempted to be copied. instead it should be a clickable action to clear the message.

FreeNAS-8.2.0-BETA3-x64 (r11188)
plugins_jail-8.2-x64.pbi

ProtoSD

MVP
+1 on the issue.

saw the video as well but it was too outdated (notably the checksum code is no longer required when installing the plugin pbi)
instead i followed this guide to the letter: http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Plugins

FreeNAS-8.2.0-BETA3-x64 (r11188)
plugins_jail-8.2-x64.pbi

There are minor differences since that video was for beta-2 and this is beta-3, but it isn't too outdated. Yes, we no longer need to enter checksums, but the procedure is nearly identical.

This is still only beta-3, there are still problems with it. You can always open a trouble ticket at support.freenas.org

What I suggest looking at is /conf/base/etc/rc.conf , there is where the "jail_enable" is set. You can do "mount -uw /" then edit /conf/base/etc/rc.conf and change NO to YES. Save the file, do "mount -ur /" and then do /etc/rc.d/jail start OR better yet, try clicking the On/Off icon for the Jail service and see if it starts.

borisattva

Dabbler
thank you for such a quick reply protosd.

jail_enable is not present in that config at all. this makes me wonder if the pbi installation was not successfully completed
i'll try the ticket route.

ProtoSD

MVP
That's what is seems like. All of the settings like jail_enable get saved in /data/freenas-v1.db and then written out to those files (rc.conf) etc. during boot. There's a way to see what the database has, but I can't remember it off the top of my head. You are correct though, it seems like something hasn't completed properly.

borisattva

Dabbler
tried it all over again to get a more isolated log content and got the following:

freenas freenas[2038]: [MiddlewareError: The command /usr/local/
sbin/pbi_add -e -f -o /mnt/caviar/jail --no-checksig /var/tmp/firmware/pbifile.
pbi failed: "rm: /mnt/caviar/jail/plugins_jail-amd64/lib/libthr.so.3: Operation
not permitted rm: /mnt/caviar/jail/plugins_jail-amd64/lib/libc.so.7: Operation n
ot permitted rm: /mnt/caviar/jail/plugins_jail-amd64/lib/libcrypt.so.5: Operatio
n not permitted rm: /mnt/caviar/jail/plugins_jail-amd64/lib: Directory not empty
rm: /mnt/caviar/jail/plugins_jail-amd64/bin/rcp: Operation not permitted rm: /m
nt/caviar/jail/plugins_jail-amd64/bin: Directory not empty rm: /mnt/caviar/jail/
plugins_jail-amd64/usr/bin/ypchfn: Operation not permitted rm: /mnt/caviar/jail/
plugins_jail-amd64/usr/bin/ypchpass: Operation not permitted rm: /mnt/caviar/jai
l/plugins_jail-amd64/usr/bin/ypchsh: Operation not permitted rm: /mnt/caviar/jai
l/plugins_jail-amd64/usr/bin/opiepasswd: Operation not permitted rm: /mnt/caviar
/jail/plugins_jail-amd64/usr/bin/crontab: Operation not permitted rm
Apr 22 20:26:58 freenas kernel: rmitted rm

seems like a permission issue, in that what ever 'user' executes the pki process is not able to perform all the steps listed.

any ideas on which user, which permissions it needs and how to fix it?

opened a ticket with this for devs as well
http://support.freenas.org/ticket/1483

ikke

Contributor
I add my experience to this too, even though I don't have logs available ATM. I had problems initializing jails as well in B3. GUI did not bring up the pbi upload dialog, it just gave up after asking the directories. I don't recall what exactly I had to do to get it to ask for upload.

I had jail in my B2 from which I upgraded. I first removed the old jail and plugins though. Just FYI.

ProtoSD

MVP
Just a thought, which browser are you both using? Could you try this with a different one?

@borisattva, I don't think it's the user executing the install script, but it could possibly be read-write-execute permissions on the dataset or folder where the jail is being installed.

borisattva

Dabbler
i tried latest chrome and ie 8.

the user is root and group is wheel. these must have been the default.
read/write privileges enabled.

even though i log in through 'admin' its not listed as a possible user to be assigned.
folder. sounds like root and admin are synonymous in this respect. should be ok. will see if anyone responds to the ticket. thanks for your efforts protosd

Status
Not open for further replies.