Best Way To Move Data From External Drive & Why Are My Mapped Drives Keep Disconnecting?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Seems like I started writing the specs of the Dell PowerEdge, but didn't...

CPU: Dual Xeon 5500
RAM: 40GB DDR3
RAID Controller: Image Link - https://i.imgur.com/NTBhVDT.jpeg
Motherboard: No idea... I looked inside and couldn't find any identifying labels :(
NIC: Dual Port 10GB Enhanced Intel® Ethernet Server Adapter X520-DA2

If I missed something, let me know!
That's going to be a much better system than your original setup. It should probably have a 1gbps network connection already on the motherboard along with the 10gig add in card.

You don't want to use the raid card that's in there if there is one. But depending on how many disks you have you could use the data ports on the motherboard. I have no clue if this machine uses a back plan so you might need a reverse breakout cable if that is the case.

ekarni

Explorer
Weill, lucky you - looks like you have something to work with now.

Start by searching here for T610 and reading the threads. In them you will find discussions by people commissioning T610's for FreeNAS, including references to the HBA sitting between the motherboard and the hard disk drives.

Then come back here and ask for help/confirmation on your conclusions and in procuring an appropriate HBA.

What you have is a PERC 700 - search here for that and find out what were recommended replacements. You may be able to sell it and defray the cost of your fresh HBA.

Hopefully when you post back here someone who owns a T610 will answer and provide you with experience-based counsel.

I can't get the computer working :( My friend said the Dell is missing a RAID card and that's why it doesn't work, but the one he dropped off doesn't seem to go anywhere I can figure out.

I've spent weeks trying to figure all of this out. I know my limitations and working with Server hardware isn't something I can do. Does FreeNAS offer paid support so I can pay someone to help me set this up? I'll use my savings, I don't care anymore, I'm at my limit. I'm already dealing with enough medical issues, that I just want this working at this point so I don't need to worry about it.

Redcoat

MVP
I'm struggling with answering you - normally people asking for help here will make some personal investment of time and effort to facilitate the process they started with their initial posting....

iXsystems offers paid support to its enterprise hardware customers. There's no paid support for FreeNAS from them. It's possible that a posting here looking for paid help and giving your general; location will get you a response from a forum member who can assist you on some basis. Take any ensuing discussion out of the public eye using the Chat function here (sometimes referred to as PM - private messaging).

If that doesn't work, and/or you change your approach and decide to be involved in a solution, I suggest that you go to Dell's document site and get whatever manuals are available for the hardware you have been given. Assisted by that information, make an inventory of your machine. There may be a Dell system tag on your machine that allows you to look at the as-shipped spec in Dell's system.

Once you have that info and some photo's of the chassis and contents, post the information here in the "Will it FreeNAS?" section and ask for comments and give any direct request that you may have as a result of your investigation and learning.

You are not the first person who felt lost when first moving from Windows PC-land to FreeNAS server-land and you won't be the last. You will find the community here to be extremely willing to help tyros who are willing to help themselves along the way.

It might also help some if you tell us your objectives for your FreeNAS system - it could be that some alternative might be best for you and that people here can offer you guidance on the options.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I can't get the computer working :( My friend said the Dell is missing a RAID card and that's why it doesn't work, but the one he dropped off doesn't seem to go anywhere I can figure out.

I've spent weeks trying to figure all of this out. I know my limitations and working with Server hardware isn't something I can do. Does FreeNAS offer paid support so I can pay someone to help me set this up? I'll use my savings, I don't care anymore, I'm at my limit. I'm already dealing with enough medical issues, that I just want this working at this point so I don't need to worry about it.
Nope no paid

You can figure it out. It's all pretty simple just takes time and reading.

ekarni

Explorer
Thanks guys!
My experience here has been nothing buy amazing! Especially you
I'm struggling with answering you - normally people asking for help here will make some personal investment of time and effort to facilitate the process they started with their initial posting....

iXsystems offers paid support to its enterprise hardware customers. There's no paid support for FreeNAS from them. It's possible that a posting here looking for paid help and giving your general; location will get you a response from a forum member who can assist you on some basis. Take any ensuing discussion out of the public eye using the Chat function here (sometimes referred to as PM - private messaging).

If that doesn't work, and/or you change your approach and decide to be involved in a solution, I suggest that you go to Dell's document site and get whatever manuals are available for the hardware you have been given. Assisted by that information, make an inventory of your machine. There may be a Dell system tag on your machine that allows you to look at the as-shipped spec in Dell's system.

Once you have that info and some photo's of the chassis and contents, post the information here in the "Will it FreeNAS?" section and ask for comments and give any direct request that you may have as a result of your investigation and learning.

You are not the first person who felt lost when first moving from Windows PC-land to FreeNAS server-land and you won't be the last. You will find the community here to be extremely willing to help tyros who are willing to help themselves along the way.

It might also help some if you tell us your objectives for your FreeNAS system - it could be that some alternative might be best for you and that people here can offer you guidance on the options.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

You have been nothing but supportive and helpful this whole time! I apologies for putting you a this position of struggling to answer my question. That was never my intention and I apologies for that.

You have been kind, helpful, knowledgeable and most of all, patient with me. My issues with FreeNAS are my own, and not a reflection of FreeNAS or the community. I have just been dealing with a lot of social and medical issues lately that have caused me to lose all of my sense of self lately. I haven't left that house in week due to a lack of mental fortitude and I lose my patience very quickly these last few weeks. Usually, I love to tinker with new stuff and get to learn it, but lately I just can't do it... I get frustrated, and depressed and go to sleep or drink so I don't need to deal with the real world... In this state, trying to learn or spend energy on anything is basically impossible. That's why I'm giving up on trying to figure this out.

Maybe after some of my other problems are solved, I can take the time to learn this stuff and figure it out. It just won't happen anytime soon, and I no longer have the energy to put into this :( Sad thing is, due to all of my issues and only making $800 on disability, I probably couldn't afford any help lol!

Regardless, thank you for the help! I really really appreciate it. I almost lost faith in other humans!

ekarni

Explorer
You can figure it out. It's all pretty simple just takes time and reading.

I really appreciate the kind words, but it isn't gonna happen (read my comment above). I don't have the energy to do anything lately (my apartment is more flies than walls at this point) so this isn't going to happen until my other issues are straightened out sadly (and that can be a while)

Redcoat

MVP