Best Program to Rip DVDs for Use With Plex Media Server

madmac

Cadet
I've setup my FreeNAS box and I'm really quite pleased with it. bhyve virtualization was my first "extra", and it's working nicely.

I've setup the Plex Media Server, and it's pretty slick, and was automagically "found" by my Denon receiver. I got the "storage" and "jail" thing worked out, and it's serving music wonderfully.

Now Videos. The Library is setup. Putting "natively ripped" DVDs (created via DVDFab) in there yielded no love. Found a suggestion and instructions to use Brorsoft to rip the DVD, and followed the instructions and ripped to an H.264 Hgh Profile Video MP4 file. This put 9 different files in the output folder, and Plex didn't really know what to do with it. It would play the file, but not like serving a DVD . .

I'm re-ripping with the "Merge into one file" option set. We'll see about that.

What tool do people use for ripping DVDs (and/or BluRay Discs, and Ultra High-Def BluRay (4K) ). I can go either Linux or Windows 10 . . . or FreeBSD if I have to.

This is really a pretty nice system. I have been getting 90 - 110 MB/sec transfers from my Windows 10 box to a share on my FreeNAS. On a 1 gbps network. That's about 80% wirespeed . . . .

Thanks all in advance . .

Doug

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Rip with makemkv and encode with handbrake.

You'll find lots of info on this in the Plex forums.

Agree Handbrake is great.

fracai

Guru
It would play the file, but not like serving a DVD
I just noticed this part. If you're looking for a DVD menu style interface, you won't find that with Plex. I rip the movie to a single file, maybe add the commentary as another audio track. Maybe rip the extras as separate files. But, Plex won't present those with a DVD menu to select what you want.

scrappy

Patron
MakeMKV will rip DVD, BluRay, and UHD4K (I believe). You will still need something like Handbrake to compress the video into a more reasonable file size.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
and UHD4K (I believe)
I was wondering the other day, looking at the 4K Blu Rays at a store, since I have a 4K TV and some Blu Ray drives, but no standalone Blu Ray player in the house (neither 4K nor HD). Turns out it's still a very ad-hoc thing of limited usefulness.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
And there's only certain drives with the right firmware that will rip 4k content.

Personally i like being able to rip and encode with one step. To do this I use DVDfab Passkey and Handbrake. Passkey does the heavy lifting on the rip portion and allows Handbrake to do it's job. Makes a simple one step solution. You can try Passkey out and after a certain amount of time it will drop to the lite version which doesn't work as well. But since you can try it for free it's worth checking out. I do however suggest getting the "Lifetime" license so you get updates for a long while. I personally don't see BluRay going anywhere for a few years right now. Anyway until the 9th you can use EST35 and get it for about $71. But IMHO being able to do it all in one step makes it worth it. I bought the lifetime of PlexPass as well to just have it done in one shot.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I've used the Automatic Ripping Machine with good results:

Not sure how well it would work in a jail -- I use Linux VMs on my All-In-One servers.

kherr

Explorer
It costs a couple of $$$$ ..... but I'm a DVDfab kinda person. Everything in one package and will use hardware acceleration if you have the right hardware. I have a 5 drive rig, set it all up and walk away. You can copy/rip DVD/BR/UHD/4k all in one package/interface.

CyberdineX

Cadet
It costs a couple of $$$$ ..... but I'm a DVDfab kinda person. Everything in one package and will use hardware acceleration if you have the right hardware. I have a 5 drive rig, set it all up and walk away. You can copy/rip DVD/BR/UHD/4k all in one package/interface.
Are you running this on a PC or server?
I've done a bunch on my PC, and now want a server side solution. So it can just work on this while the rest of the house carries on.

sretalla