Backup data of 2 Freenas boxes with Veeam

joriz

Cadet
I currently have running 2 Freenas boxes with around 4TB data on each box. Besides that i also have esxi boxes running which a being backupped to 2 onsite backup repositories by Veeam and 1 offsite backup to tape.

I'm trying to find a solution to integrate both Freenas boxes into the Veeam backup solution. Virtualise the physical Freenas boxes could be a solution but i don't prefer to do that.

What could be a reliable solution to integrate them in the Veeam backup solution?

Jessep

Patron
With Veeam the only option would be to backup the files themselves using a "File to Tape" backup job.
You can install something like the free Starwind Virtual Tape Library as the tape infrastructure target.

If you virtualise FreeNAS you would only be backing up the VM not the drives, unless the drives were added as virtual drives which would remove all FreeNAS benefits of direct drive access and risk your data.

efigalaxie

Cadet
i have a precision r5500 I use for disc ripping and as the emby server. Can I not simply install veeam on it and have it run the backups? I think it is best to let freenas be only freenas