Backing up Windows Servers to FreeNas with an air gap to circumvent ransomware attacks.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Also, the boot drive would still need to be in a hardware level raid, correct?
No, and indeed it should not be. FreeNAS can handle mirroring of the boot device.

Dixeritis

Dabbler
The raid card is an PERC H710p Mini. I see some 710s that say flashed with LSI IT Mode, but those have less ram. Being those are flashed, that would imply I could flash this one correct? Or would it be best to get a better/upgraded card altogether, if so what models are compatible?

Dixeritis

Dabbler
It seems that we will have to get the 710 sold by Art of Server, watched his video detailing it, and being the H310 is fast enough for regular hdd loads the not p should be just fine.

Jessep

Patron
What is your backup software?

Dixeritis

Dabbler
I am (will be) exporting HyperV VMs to a middle man pc which will then write to freenas. Using the task scheduler and powershell that is built into windows. So no 3rd party software.

Jessep

Patron
How many VMs are we talking about?

Dixeritis

Dabbler
Last count of physical and virtual servers was 43. 7 of those are stand in for sccm, fog. I am not worried about most of the physical machines, maybe the two clusters for configuration sake, overall it would be 20-25 The only server with any real volume of data is sccm.

lifejacket

Cadet
It seems that we will have to get the 710 sold by Art of Server, watched his video detailing it, and being the H310 is fast enough for regular hdd loads the not p should be just fine.

There is a guide you can flash IT mode to the H710p mini (both links are the same guide).