"Babycall" server to store video sent from phone?

tofagerl

Contributor
So I'm hopefully getting a puppy in a couple months (there were fewer puppies than usual so there's a list, and I'm supposedly high on it), and I'm starting to plan things.

This isn't my first rodeo, so I've already arranged time off work and I can work from home for a while, but I'm going to start training the puppy to be home alone from week 1 (if not day one, depending on how it goes). To begin with this will be done with the puppy in the cage, and depending on how that goes I'll start leaving the cage door open. And so on, and so on.

That's all fine, but I need a way to know what happened while I am away. Obviously I can stream the video directly with Skype or something - I have an old android phone I can use as the camera, leaving it plugged in - but I'm just going to run out of battery on my phone. So then I started searching for solutions, and I found something called "Alfred Home Security Camera", which lets me stream from the android phone to my phone. That works, but then I don't know what actually happens when I'm not actively watching.

So in the end, what I think I need is some way to store live video from an Android phone to my freenas, where some sort of software runs and real-time alerts me (or sends an email, that's fine) whenever there's motion (or sound!), and then hopefully puts the video on a safe website which I can access from my phone or even computer.

This isn't techincally dependent on FreeNAS, I think this would work with any server, but I just don't know what to search for. I keep ending up either on "how to save your instagram video to your computer" or "how to camgirl" sites, and I guess I'm sort of... in between...? Neither?

If you don't know how to do this specific thing, but you do know of software that does parts of it, or even what what I'm looking for is called, please let me know.

Sounds like you just need a simple IP Camera that can write its video to a network share (freenas). Im not saying the phone route wont work, but im not sure how to tell you to accomplish it. Some IP Cameras have integrated web browsers where you just forward a port on your router to camera IP and boom you got video on any device that can visit a web page, also with likely options of a network share to store the video..

Some have set up Zoneminder in a FreeNAS jail and its pretty great but I think its best used for multiple cameras, but with that said I think it supports basically any camera, even a USB "webcam". So maybe theres a way to get a phone to work. Certainly if you can stream from one phone to the other, that "stream" can certainly be recorded from a computer. You just have to determine how that video is being output.

The other ones you might be looking for are Salient Eye, Manything, Presence if you havent discovered them already.. Where they get you is the paying to record video to the cloud.

tofagerl

Contributor
Sounds like you just need a simple IP Camera that can write its video to a network share (freenas). Im not saying the phone route won't work, but im not sure how to tell you to accomplish it. Some IP Cameras have integrated web browsers where you just forward a port on your router to camera IP and boom you got video on any device that can visit a web page, also with likely options of a network share to store the video..

Some have set up Zoneminder in a FreeNAS jail and its pretty great but I think its best used for multiple cameras, but with that said I think it supports basically any camera, even a USB "webcam". So maybe theres a way to get a phone to work. Certainly if you can stream from one phone to the other, that "stream" can certainly be recorded from a computer. You just have to determine how that video is being output.

The other ones you might be looking for are Salient Eye, Manything, Presence if you havent discovered them already.. Where they get you is the paying to record video to the cloud.
This sounds like a good solution, and I'm willing to bet I'd find an app on android that just used that generic protocol, whichever it is. mjpeg, rtwhatever it's called and so on.