Available space decreasing but not on replicated drive

markgca

Dabbler
i have two identical pools, one for data, one for replication

initially i turned on the recycle function, but then found out i didnt need it due to snapshots; turned it off, and deleted all the recycle bins (i think, maybe there are remnants i missed due to misunderstanding how this works)

have a ton of snapshots, doesnt seem out of line with what i see recommended (5 minutes kept for a few days, weekly kept for months)

but now the available space is down to 3TB, 91% used, but only 25% used of the replicated pool.

i would have thought all those snapshots would be replicated as well, but im new to freenas and dont really understand everything as well as i should.

any thoughts on where to start looking for the issue? i guarantee im not using that much space for data; the replicated one seems about right at 25%. there are a couple extra things im backing up to the main pool, but not another 32TB

thanks for any guidance on this. at 91% the array is stalling now and then and isnt happy. i do know that freenas wants more freespace to work correctly

mark

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Which of the snapshot jobs is the replication working with?

If you're taking a snapshot every 5 minutes, does that mean you have enough file changes happening to make that sensible? which may mean that the weekly snapshots refer to completely different sets of data to the 5 minute ones?

markgca

Dabbler
not sure how to answer to be honest
my needs; there are only a couple people accessing this thing at a time, but...the files we work on are important, and losing a day of edits etc would be catastrophic. i had read that snapshots dont take up much space if you dont have many changed files, so i figured i could get away with that.

so not many file changes, but important ones.

is there an easy way to see how much space the snapshots are using? i see the snapshots list, and there are 3800 of them; maybe thats too many? but i dont find anywhere where it shows the space they take up

my first freenas system, so im making lots of mistakes

thanks for your help

edit; decided to remove some snapshots from the snapshot page, just to see what effect they would have. got an error message "items delete failed tank/xyz/xxxx not found"

sretalla