[Available Plugin] XMRig - Monero (XMR) and AEON Cryptocurrency Miner

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Hashrate seems to be lower with this release with the same settings.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Hashrate seems to be lower with this release with the same settings.
in know hashrates are expected to be lower, but in thought that wouldnt happen until the algorithm variation was switched. and since everyone was effected, it would overall bring the difficulty down. maybe it actually caused by the program update itself?

also, i noticed as my server is on longer, my hashrate seems to degrade. i wonder if it has to do with more processes leaving things in the CPU cache? im only speculating as i dont know exactly how cryptonight mining works.

nojohnny101

Wizard
The plugin today stopped hasing today around 4pm EST. Have anyone else see this behavior?

I have tried restarting the jail, reboot the whole server, but no has rate. Wonder if it is a problem with the plugin or something with the Monero network? Where can I view logs to investigate?

Strange as it has been humming along for months with no problem. Then checked my CPU today for my box and it was down at 0 (normally is at 75%). I'm running FreeNAS-11.1-U4.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Mine is still running but I'm not mining Monero I'm mining to nicehash.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
The plugin today stopped hasing today around 4pm EST. Have anyone else see this behavior?

I have tried restarting the jail, reboot the whole server, but no has rate. Wonder if it is a problem with the plugin or something with the Monero network? Where can I view logs to investigate?

Strange as it has been humming along for months with no problem. Then checked my CPU today for my box and it was down at 0 (normally is at 75%). I'm running FreeNAS-11.1-U4.

You need to update the plugin to mine on most coins/pools. This may need to happen every 6 months to keep ASICs from being developed.

See my 3rd point here.
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...cryptocurrency-miner.60493/page-8#post-449524

nojohnny101

Wizard
Thanks for the quick reply. I was unaware of the news surrounding ASIC and Bitminer's attempts to circumvent it. Just updated the plugin (which I believe was successful) and had to reboot my whole box in order for it to come up again.

I see quite a bit new settings. I copied my old settings and filled in everything as it was before but it is not mining. Did you update your guide with what values we should put in the new fields?

Thanks!

EDIT: nevermind, got it working. Question still stands, anything we should change with the additional settings?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the quick reply. I was unaware of the news surrounding ASIC and Bitminer's attempts to circumvent it. Just updated the plugin (which I believe was successful) and had to reboot my whole box in order for it to come up again.

I see quite a bit new settings. I copied my old settings and filled in everything as it was before but it is not mining. Did you update your guide with what values we should put in the new fields?

Thanks!

EDIT: never mind, got it working. Question still stands, anything we should change with the additional settings?
No, it should work as is with your old settings. The new setting (algorithm variation) should work automatically except for very specific coins.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I've got the update but it's still mining cryptonight not cryptonightv7. At least according to the stats at nicehash it says cryptonight.

ETA: Disregard, I had to change the stratum address to reflect the addition of the new fork. It's working now. Oddly enough my hash rate is back where it was before too. Sorry to bother you.

Last edited:

jlentz3

Dabbler
Can this work with GPU?
I’ve only got a pentium.
My GPU does fairly decent on nicehash on my desktop. I’d really like to move this off the desktop though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
No, there's no GPU driver support in FreeNAS for it.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Can this work with GPU?
I’ve only got a pentium.
My GPU does fairly decent on nicehash on my desktop. I’d really like to move this off the desktop though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
only nvidia and amd, and those have not been ported to freebsd, but soneone else could try

LVA

Cadet
Hi Joshua,
I'm trying to set this up on a test FreeNAS box. The plugin installs OK (it's on the page with the "Plugins/Available" tab, and when installed it appears in the "Plugins/Installed" tabs page). It won't start (just sits there with the waiting icon) and then goes back to the "service status" Off icon. I guess that's because it needs configuring, but it doesn't appear in the left hand menu list under "Plugins", co I can't click it to configure it!
I've uninstalled it a couple of times, reinstalled and installed multiple copies. Any ideas?
I'm running FreeNAS 9.10.2-U6 and 2.5.2 of your code.
Thanks in advance!

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Hi Joshua,
I'm trying to set this up on a test FreeNAS box. The plugin installs OK (it's on the page with the "Plugins/Available" tab, and when installed it appears in the "Plugins/Installed" tabs page). It won't start (just sits there with the waiting icon) and then goes back to the "service status" Off icon. I guess that's because it needs configuring, but it doesn't appear in the left hand menu list under "Plugins", co I can't click it to configure it!
I've uninstalled it a couple of times, reinstalled and installed multiple copies. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!
Did you do a refresh of your browser after install? Ctr+F5

Also what's your systems hardware specs?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Hi Joshua,
Thanks in advance!
As @Jailer said, try refreshing the page. you'll want access to it's configuration page so you can setup your pool/wallet address.
I do this since on my system it makes networking more reliable.
on the Jails tab edit the xmrig_1 jail
- disable VIMAGE
- assign an interface to the jail
restart the jail

now try refrshing the page and see if it shows in the left panel under Plugins

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Version 2.6.2 is available from the FreeNAS repo. This adds support for the CryptoNight-Heavy (Sumokoin) algorithm, as well as a few variants for IPBC and XLT. It is also supposed to have slightly increased performance over previous versions.