[Available Plugin] XMRig - Monero (XMR) and AEON Cryptocurrency Miner

Kuro Houou

Contributor
  • Interesting, that is a delta of ~79-90 h/s in your favor.
My CPU was pegged @ 100% in FreeNAS and ESXi.

• I think the variance may be accounted for by virtue of the fact that I had 3-4 VMs accessing the system's resources.
  • I spun them all down and got around ~700 H/s.
  • Regarding your question, are you using XMRig in a manner other than a plugin jail?
For fun, I spun up an Ubuntu VM, installed xmrig, and spun down everything else (except for pfSense):
  • Max reported = 1143 H/s
  • 15 min average = 1058 H/s
I don't think I will let that server quit its day job. ;)

I may have to try running it on a VM to see what happens as well, I have noticed in the past jails not being able to hit max CPU capabilities. I noticed your doing nicehash, I tried that one out and it say my hash rate is = CryptoNight 1.33 kH/s. Does yours show higher then what XMRig shows? Its odd XMRig shows about 730 now, but Nicehash shows 1.33 kH/s.

Update: Looks like Nicehash was just getting things started when I first looked, looks to be around 700 h/s now again. So might look at the VM route. I am curious if anyone using the plugin/jail has gotten closer to 100% utilization.

Last edited:

Kuro Houou

Contributor
I may have to try running it on a VM to see what happens as well, I have noticed in the past jails not being able to hit max CPU capabilities. I noticed your doing nicehash, I tried that one out and it say my hash rate is = CryptoNight 1.33 kH/s. Does yours show higher then what XMRig shows? Its odd XMRig shows about 730 now, but Nicehash shows 1.33 kH/s.

Update: Looks like Nicehash was just getting things started when I first looked, looks to be around 700 h/s now again. So might look at the VM route. I am curious if anyone using the plugin/jail has gotten closer to 100% utilization.

Just realized, since I am running FreeNAS native I can't create a behyve VM with more then 16vcpu :( Guess Ill have to create two Ubuntu Server VM's and just double up, that would let me use up to 32vcpu which I think would be good as my NAS still needs to do its day job too.

Update: So looks like running two xmrig's in different VM's doesn't help. It just split the hashing power between the two :( I was hitting about ~525h/s with one VM with 16vcpu. then I made another VM same specs and everything, as soon as I started that one, they both were only doing about ~275h/s. Not sure what happened, maybe something to do with the cache available.. but not good. Seems like the max I can get from my FreeNAS box is going to be about ~750h/s just using the plugin of xmrig. At least until behyve supports more then 16 vcpu :(

Last edited:

encbox

Dabbler
First I want to thank you for implementing this great plugin. I did not mine any stuff before but thought I might give monero a try with xmrig.
I got 41 H/s as 24 Hour Avg. Hash Rate with Xeon E3-1220L V2 (3 MB Cache).
My feeling is, this is a little bit low. I watched your video, but I am not sure if I configured everything accordingly. Does my configuration look sane?

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    79.9 KB · Views: 760

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
My feeling is, this is a little bit low.
That's because you sacrificed performance for low TDP with the E3-1220L that you have in your build. That's exactly why the low TDP parts are frequently not recommended.

encbox

Dabbler
That's because you sacrificed performance for low TDP with the E3-1220L that you have in your build. That's exactly why the low TDP parts are frequently not recommended.
If you think that looks like the expected performance, that's quiet ok for me. I just want to make sure I didn't misconfigure some parameter and get less than possible with my CPU. ;)

one800higgins

Dabbler
I imagine the average server CPU isn't going to churn out a high enough hashrate to make the extra strain worth it though. At ~200h/s you're looking at >.3XMR a year, so a payout every 4-5 months since most sites have a min of .1XMR. If the value held at it's current price, that's around $90/year before electricity, so for most it's probably like ~$40 profit.

I don't know about you guys, but I see a few mentions of older Xeon chipsets. If you're running an older Xeon LGA1150 chipset like me (and a few people have mentioned in this thread), then you're looking at a $300+ cost to replace the chipset when it eventually bites the dust. There goes several years of mining profit, depending on how Monero's value fluctuates. I know running 4 threads at 50% isn't much strain, but the payoff doesn't really seem worth it. Perhaps it's just me!

That said, I've had fun playing around with the plugin over the last hour.

svtkobra7

Patron
I imagine the average server CPU isn't going to churn out a high enough hashrate to make the extra strain worth it though. At ~200h/s you're looking at >.3XMR a year, so a payout every 4-5 months since most sites have a min of .1XMR. If the value held at it's current price, that's around $90/year before electricity, so for most it's probably like ~$40 profit.
  • Directionally, I agree with your point, but I'm not sure the time frame is valid as presented.
  • Nicehash, as an example, has a minimum 0.001 BTC payout (internal wallet), which equals 0.04 XMR (currently).
  • 200 H/s = 0.00076651 XMR daily
  • 0.04 XMR (or Nicehash minimum payout) / 0.00076651 (XMR mined daily) = 52 days (minimum Nicehash payout).
  • Please correct me if I'm looking at this the wrong way (or if any of my calculations are incorrect)!
I don't know about you guys, but I see a few mentions of older Xeon chipsets. If you're running an older Xeon LGA1150 chipset like me (and a few people have mentioned in this thread), then you're looking at a $300+ cost to replace the chipset when it eventually bites the dust.
  • All electronic devices eventually fail, but is a Xeon going to fail sooner because you were mining?
  • That isn't a rhetorical question, and I'm curious for your thoughts, but I thought Xeons were stout chips built for 24/7/365 use in data centers and even if you were mining and had CPU utilization pegged @ 100% (and the chip is properly cooled), is that "strain" really going to reduce the life expectancy of the chip?
  • Not to disagree with your figure (as it would differ for everyone and lets refer to it as "X"), but as you use phrased your comment, you are suggesting present value (PV) = future value (FV), which it does not. X(FV) < X(PV) thanks to time value of money and more appreciably the inevitable decline in value of whatever Xeon you are running today.
There goes several years of mining profit, depending on how Monero's value fluctuates. I know running 4 threads at 50% isn't much strain, but the payoff doesn't really seem worth it. Perhaps it's just me!
  • I speak for myself here, but I don't think anyone running a FreeNAS rig is really looking for a huge payoff for their mining "efforts".
  • Otherwise, I'd imagine they have dedicated rigs and aren't using a FreeNAS plugin.
  • Again, personally, I find the ability to generate enough revenue from mining with spare resources to cover the electricity cost for the entire server to be intriguing.

fireheadman

Dabbler
late to the game, but checking in to see if anyone is running this on an AMD cpu? (AMD Phenom II FX-8350 8xcore - 8MB L2)

UPDATE: Setup my wallet, gave it a go... appears to be hashing around 310H/s.

One thing I am curious about is AMD vs Intel for the CPU Affinity. I suppose I need to do some research on the topic.. but in the meantime wanted to ask here. I do not believe AMD does hyperthreading.. as when I set 0x55, I still see all 8 threads active. Does anyone know if this is even supported for AMD CPUs ?

I'm also running a script/cmd to check temps, which seem more than fine.
sysctl -a | grep dev.cpu.*.temperature
dev.cpu.7.temperature: 29.6C
dev.cpu.6.temperature: 29.6C
dev.cpu.5.temperature: 29.6C
dev.cpu.4.temperature: 29.6C
dev.cpu.3.temperature: 29.6C
dev.cpu.2.temperature: 29.6C
dev.cpu.1.temperature: 29.6C
dev.cpu.0.temperature: 29.6C

Enhancement request for the Plugin config windows, Could you include the option to configure the logfile location?

Last edited:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer

I don't know about you guys, but I see a few mentions of older Xeon chipsets. If you're running an older Xeon LGA1150 chipset like me (and a few people have mentioned in this thread), then you're looking at a $300+ cost to replace the chipset when it eventually bites the dust. There goes several years of mining profit, depending on how Monero's value fluctuates. I know running 4 threads at 50% isn't much strain, but the payoff doesn't really seem worth it. Perhaps it's just me!

to give an alternative point of view. not 100% related, but i bitcoin mined for around 2.5 years using 2 AMD GPUs. i ran them overclocked, undervolted, they got very dusty and hot, often shutting themselves down until i tweaked everything right.

they generated 2x50 bitcoin, though i really only got paid out about 65 from my pool. i bought the GPUs for i think under $170 each. and 3 years later sold them for over $100 each. my point is, while it does seem we are burning these computer parts up, they do seem to last and resale better than expected sometimes.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
late to the game, but checking in to see if anyone is running this on an AMD cpu? (AMD Phenom II FX-8350 8xcore - 8MB L2)

UPDATE: Setup my wallet, gave it a go... appears to be hashing around 310H/s.

One thing I am curious about is AMD vs Intel for the CPU Affinity. I suppose I need to do some research on the topic.. but in the meantime wanted to ask here. I do not believe AMD does hyperthreading.. as when I set 0x55, I still see all 8 threads active. Does anyone know if this is even supported for AMD CPUs ?

I'm also running a script/cmd to check temps, which seem more than fine.
sysctl -a | grep dev.cpu.*.temperature
dev.cpu.7.temperature: 29.6C
dev.cpu.6.temperature: 29.6C
dev.cpu.5.temperature: 29.6C
dev.cpu.4.temperature: 29.6C
dev.cpu.3.temperature: 29.6C
dev.cpu.2.temperature: 29.6C
dev.cpu.1.temperature: 29.6C
dev.cpu.0.temperature: 29.6C

Enhancement request for the Plugin config windows, Could you include the option to configure the logfile location?
i have other priorities at the moment, but you could try adding the value yourself to the config file. i tried to get it that the plugin will respect values already set in the config. just make sure the json is formatted correctly and it should keep the value in the config file.

fireheadman

Dabbler
i have other priorities at the moment, but you could try adding the value yourself to the config file. i tried to get it that the plugin will respect values already set in the config. just make sure the json is formatted correctly and it should keep the value in the config file.

I haven't cracked open the jail yet to look at that... but makes sense. I use the config.json on my macmini xmrig miner.
Just need to locate the config.json in the jail. will send some updates once I get it figured out.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I haven't cracked open the jail yet to look at that... but makes sense. I use the config.json on my macmini xmrig miner.
Just need to locate the config.json in the jail. will send some updates once I get it figured out.
its at '/usr/pbi/xmrig-amd64/etc/xmrig/config.json' if i remember correctly

fireheadman

Dabbler
The main reason I wanted this functionality (log-file) was for me to monitor the miner via ssh if I was away from the house. I also don't like opening up ports to the external world. I tested these settings out and it did not break the plugin UI/API monitor Josh created.

PS, Be sure to use your own public key.

Before:

Code:
{
	"algo": "cryptonight",
	"api": {
		"port": 8080
	},
	"av": 1,
	"cpu-affinity": "",
	"cpu-priority": 2,
	"donate-level": 1,
	"max-cpu-usage": 80,
	"pools": [
		{
			"keepalive": true,
			"nicehash": false,
			"pass": "rig1:xxxxxxx@xxxx.com",
			"url": "pool.minemonero.pro:5555",
			"user": "public_monero_key_here"
		}
	],
	"safe": true,
	"threads": 8
}

After:
Did these steps:
touch /var/log/xmrig.log <-- Gotta create the log file (you can pick where ever you like)
chown xmrig:nobody /var/log/xmrig.log <--So it can write to the log since xmrig is the user running the miner
Now update the config.json for the log-file location. I added a few extra lines in addition to the log-file location.
Then just restart the jail.

Code:
{
	"api": {
		"port": 8080
	},
	"av": 1,
	"retries": 5,
	"retry-pause": 5,
	"log-file": "/var/log/xmrig.log",
	"print-time": 60,
	"cpu-affinity": "",
	"cpu-priority": 2,
	"donate-level": 1,
	"max-cpu-usage": 80,
	"pools": [
		{
			"keepalive": true,
			"nicehash": false,
			"pass": "rig1:xxxxxxxx@xxxx.com",
			"url": "pool.minemonero.pro:5555",
			"user": "public_monero_key_here"
		}
	],
	"safe": true,
	"threads": 8
}

billgreenwood

Dabbler
Hi all. Ideas much appreciated. Trying to use the plugin to connect to an Aeon mining pool, but it seems not to want to connect, or at least aeonminingpool is not seeing my server. From the jail terminal, I can ping aeonminingpool.com

I have an Aeon Wallet string as the username
I have my email as the password
I can ping the pool.
The dashboard on aeonminingpool.com does not see any hashes from me

Ideas? am I missing something simple?

Two images
https://ibb.co/eWyWcn
eWyWcn

https://ibb.co/mvY3q7

Cheers

b.

Last edited:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Hi all. Ideas much appreciated. Trying to use the plugin to connect to an Aeon mining pool, but it seems not to want to connect, or at least aeonminingpool is not seeing my server. From the jail terminal, I can ping aeonminingpool.com

eWyWcn

mvY3q7

I can ping the pool.

Cheers

b.
Did you change your Algorithm to CryptoNight-Light?

billgreenwood

Dabbler
Did you change your Algorithm to CryptoNight-Light?
Yes I did. I'm just scratching my head here. I've tried passing the whole IP through a VPN in case it was blocked by an ISP. I've port forwarded the port to the Server internal IP. I'm stumped to be honest.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer

I can ping the pool.

Two images
https://ibb.co/eWyWcn
eWyWcn

https://ibb.co/mvY3q7

Cheers

b.
Different pool can take a while to show your hashes. It looks like from your API that you are hashing at 419H/s

billgreenwood

Dabbler
I set up Monero on another box and this worked a dream. I'll leave this running all night and see the state of play in the morning. The API looks ok. AFAIK. Well as far as I can see! Not sure if 419H/s is decent for Aeon.

fizzgig656

Contributor
Anyone able to tell me the correct settings please. Im just trying this first on a g2020 @2.90ghz nas
Suggestions for Threads and CPU affinity values.
Or i could try it on an old xeon 5130

Or it might be better if someone can enlighten me as to how to calculate the CPU affinity?

Thanks

Last edited:

fizzgig656

Contributor
ok, having a play no the xeon, this is the output, why is it not balanced more on the totals? tried different threads TNA. Im an only a novice TBH so i apologise if im being a bit dim! (i understand the totals are totaling each thread)

total 1 stays arround the 50 mark, and total 0 flutuates from, 0-15??

{
"id": "872dcf0a0126e05a",
"worker_id": "xmrig_1",
"version": "2.4.3",
"kind": "cpu",
"ua": "XMRig/2.4.3 (Linux x86_64) libuv/1.18.0 gcc/4.9.2",
"cpu": {
"brand": "Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 5130 @ 2.00GHz",
"aes": false,
"x64": true,
"sockets": 2
},
"hugepages": true,
"donate_level": 1,
"hashrate": {
"total": [
],
"highest": 12.12,
"threads": [
[
],
[
],
[
],
[
],
[
],
[
],
[
],
[
]
]
},
"results": {
"diff_current": 5000,
"shares_good": 5,
"shares_total": 5,
"avg_time": 75,
"hashes_total": 27229,
"best": [
],
"error_log": []
},
"connection": {
"pool": "pool.monero.hashvault.pro:3333",
"uptime": 377,
"ping": 82,
"failures": 0,
}
}

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
ok, having a play no the xeon, this is the output, why is it not balanced more on the totals? tried different threads TNA. Im an only a novice TBH so i apologise if im being a bit dim! (i understand the totals are totaling each thread)

total 1 stays arround the 50 mark, and total 0 flutuates from, 0-15??

{
"id": "872dcf0a0126e05a",
"worker_id": "xmrig_1",
"version": "2.4.3",
"kind": "cpu",
"ua": "XMRig/2.4.3 (Linux x86_64) libuv/1.18.0 gcc/4.9.2",
"cpu": {
"brand": "Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 5130 @ 2.00GHz",
"aes": false,
"x64": true,
"sockets": 2
},
"hugepages": true,
"donate_level": 1,
"hashrate": {
"total": [
],
"highest": 12.12,
"threads": [
[
],
[
],
[
],
[
],
[
],
[
],
[
],
[
]
]
},
"results": {
"diff_current": 5000,
"shares_good": 5,
"shares_total": 5,
"avg_time": 75,
"hashes_total": 27229,
"best": [
],
},
"connection": {
"pool": "pool.monero.hashvault.pro:3333",
"uptime": 377,
"ping": 82,
"failures": 0,
}
}
if your cpu does not have AES-NI it won't have very high hash rates. you might want to try installing version 2.4.5 i just built, which improves performance for non-AES-NI processors.