[Available Plugin] XMRig - Monero (XMR) and AEON Cryptocurrency Miner

jkalousek

Dabbler
Thanks looks nice and easy, but would be nice to see options for cpu-priority and max-cpu-usage.
When I tested this with one of my machines with 4 cores (no HT) and with CPU affinity 0x1 it still used around 80 % of CPU (which is not correct right?).

EDIT: Or maybe even better would be to just be able to specify number of miner threads

Last edited by a moderator:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
yeah i was thinking of adding more of the options. depending on your setup it might be good to tweak some of those. I'll definitely get all the ones you mention added at some point.

for now you can always edit /usr/pbi/xmrig-amd64/etc/xmrig/config.json yourself. i tried to have the plugin not delete extra parameters you put in.

as for the cpu% your seeing, are you reading that from top? i would think top should read either maybe something like 300% if it tries to use 3 threads. you may also want to look at tweaking you "av" setting.

jkalousek

Dabbler
I see 80% CPU usage in FreeNAS Graphs...

Thank you for other information.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
ahh, the FreeNAS webui probably shows the percentage more normally than top.

I would think with affinity of 0x1, it would only use 1 thread on the 1st core. but maybe it still tried multiple threads on the same core. you can try setting the threads option in the config if you want to lower or raise this i guess.

jkalousek

Dabbler
Yeah it still uses 3 threads, I will play with "cpu-priority" and "threads" so that it uses around 50% of cpu but if there is anytime demand for CPU time it gives more time to other more important processes.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Great timing on this, I just started mining a couple weeks ago.

With nicehash you can get your bitcoin with just the 2% fee that nicehash charges. Transfers to Coinbase are without fees and you can move it from there to gdax without fees. Crypto deposits and withdrawls and ACH transfers from gdax have no fees so it does offer some flexibility on how to move it to something else.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Hmm, can't get the API page to open to check my hash rate. :confused:

Edit: Disregard, it helps if you put a port in the option box. :oops:

Last edited:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
yeah im thinking of using nicehash > coinbase. seems like a good system since you get the no fee transfer

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Is there a log of any kind with this? I'm not seeing the plugin showing up on nicehash as a worker yet but it's running and has a good hash rate.

Make sure you use gdax for your transactions though, coinbase fees for transfers are pretty high.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
im not sure what the log file would output, but you can enable it in the config with the option "log-file": "/path/to/xmrig.log"

it should be somewhere writable by the xmrig user.

also the API should say the server you are connected to i believe.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Yup it's there and it's connected now. Must have taken a bit to show up but it's working now.

Thanks again for this.

Radu

Dabbler
It is not clear for me the affinity config knob. 0x55555555 means 100% of the 2 Xeons 2670 that I have?
How does this work? If the system will need CPU resources, or a bhyve VM, the necessary resources will be freed if the affinity is set lower then 100%, for example 0x5555 @ 50%? If not, the resources will continue to mine and the system or VM will not work?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I believe affinity only enables or disables the use of certain cpus/threads. I don't know if the pattern 10101... continues for multiple processors, but you could do some testing to see if you get a difference in hashrate.

I'm working on adding a few more knobs to the plugin like cpu-priority and max-cpu-usage which might do more of what you are looking to do. but I'm not 100% versed how it they all work

Radu

Dabbler
I did some tests and regardless of what i will put for affinity my CPU's usage is ~60%
The hash speed are ~600 as a sum for each thread. I have 20 groups of 3 threads.

Alix

Dabbler
I'm having the same issue where CPU affinity doesn't seem to work. Regardless of what I enter, it is always using 4 cores in my Xeon E3-1276. NiceHash mining just started working recently. It also seems work work fine on MiningPoolHub.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I got an update built "2.4.3_1" should be available from the FreeNAS repo in the next day or so. I added several relevant options (see attached).

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2018-01-10 22-11-52.png
    Screenshot from 2018-01-10 22-11-52.png
    42 KB · Views: 1,517
Last edited:

nojohnny101

Wizard
This thread has intrigued me but after doing some research, the profitability on Monero even though it is optimized for CPU mining, seems to be dismal.

Can someone share the portability calculations they have done to deem this worth it?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I just use the monero and aeon calculators (linked). Some things to realize is difficulty, reward, and price changes over time, so what you get now could be different in the future. When i mined bitcoin with 2 GPUs in 2011-2013 I was making less than $2/day. But if I held the BTC i earned and sold at the $20K high I would have over $1M =\
But if you are relying on price to explode it is better to just buy and hold.

Here's what i assume for my e3-1240v2.
Wattage increase when I tested 2 machines (taken after my UPS) mining vs not mining was no more that 30 watts, so to be conservative i say it costs me 20watts extra power. I use 1% dev fee + 0.9% pool fee.
https://www.cryptocompare.com/mining/calculator/xmr?HashingPower=290&HashingUnit=H/s&PowerConsumption=20&CostPerkWh=0.11&MiningPoolFee=1.9
https://whattomine.com/coins/192-aeon-cryptonight-lite?utf8=✓&hr=1000&p=20&fee=1.9&cost=0.11&hcost=0.0&commit=Calculate

Profit is not much, less than $1/day per machine but it does more than pay for its own power cost. I am only mining on machines that are already running, ( i manage 7 running freebsd based machines =] ), with with hardware i already have. so i figure the most i have to lose is $100-200 in extra electricity a year and could potentially make thousands or more. my version of a lottery ticket, lol.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Yup, it's all about your perspective towards mining. If this is your only venture into it, it likely isn't worth the time unless you might possibly be looking to recover your electricity costs for powering a server that's already running 24/7. Or you can be a speculator and hold and hope for a big increase.

My I'm monetizing mine now that's why I use nicehash. I started mining a few weeks ago so it makes perfect sense to add this to what I'm already doing. Why not, it's running already it might as well make some money while doing it.