Autostart of TrueCommand when using Docker on Ubuntu

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Hi all,

I installed TrueCommand on Ubuntu 18.04 with the docker.io package. The command line I use to create the running instance is this:
Code:
docker run -d --restart=always -v "/var/lib/truecommand:/data" -p 80:80 -p 443:443 --name=truecommand ixsystems/truecommand:1.2.2

When I reboot the VM the docker service is started, yet TrueCommand is not. As soon as I login via SSH and do docker ps TrueCommand will start.

Any ideas/hints? Should I take this to some platform with more Ubuntu/Docker savvy people or does someone here know what I did wrong?

Thanks,
Patrick

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Usually, Docker takes some time to complete starting itself up after a reboot. In my VM, it's roughly 2 minutes after init completes before Docker becomes available. Do you have a "wait-for-docker" script or equivalent to see if Docker is actually completely up and running?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Nope. I monitor the VM from outside and TrueCommand on port 80 will simply not become ready for 20 minutes or more unless I log in and do that docker ps. Then it starts up instantly.
ps also does not show any of the relevant container processes before I enter that command.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Never mind - found it:
Code:
systemctl status docker
[...]
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/docker.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
[...]

So the general docker service was not enabled. After I changed that, TrueCommand starts at boot, too: systemctl enable docker

Kind regards,
Patrick

@Patrick M. Hausen Best not to specify the version otherwise you may be locked into an earlier release.

Code:
docker run -d --restart=always -v "/var/lib/truecommand:/data" -p 80:80 -p 443:443 --name=truecommand ixsystems/truecommand

If you're on the previous version, easiest at this stage to remove the container and image and redo the above command i.e.

Code:
sudo docker rm -f truecommand
sudo docker system prune -a