Automatic replication not working after restoring configuration

keboose

Explorer
I need to re-configure my boot flash drives, which means re-installing the OS (11.2). Last time I had to do this (using 11.1,) I made a config backup (under system-->general-->save config), choosing to save passwords as well.

When I restored the config, my pool replication I set up to my remote server no longer worked. I set the replication up using the semi-automatic method, and after restoring the backed up config, the replication kept failing: the keys were incorrect. I had to re-run the automatic setup again to continue the replication.

Was that not supposed to happen? Is there a set of keys I can back up and paste back into the replication user's SSH file after a config restore so I don't have to re-do the setup every time?

keboose

Explorer
Thank you. Should I back up all the files in that folder, or just the 'moduli' file? I wouldn't want to clobber any ssh settings that might mess something up when I copy the files back in after a restore.

keboose

Explorer
thank you for linking the ticket here. Regarding "files that have 'key' in the name", this is the contents of my /etc/ssh directory:
Code:
root@homebox:/etc/ssh # ls -lA
total 552
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  553185 Mar 16 14:29 moduli
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel      59 Mar 16 14:29 ssh_config
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel    3293 Mar 16 14:29 sshd_config

aaron.stjohn

iXsystems
iXsystems
Hi, @keboose.

I've talked to some subject matter experts and they've told me that the keys you're looking for (before the re-install) are in
  1. /usr/local/etc/ssh/ssh_host* are the systems host keys
  2. /root/.ssh

keboose

Explorer
Thank you!

Looking in /root/.ssh, there are no files, which is odd considering root is the user performing the replication (I think. I didn't use the 'Dedicated User' option). However, there are plenty of files in /usr/local/etc/ssh.

So I should back up ALL the files that start with ssh_host? And putting them back after restoring the config to a new boot drive would allow the replication to continue immediately?