Automatic Config Backup and Email

Status
Not open for further replies.

zey

Explorer
Forgive me if this is already a feature or feature request.

The idea is to setup an weekly email or the option to set how frequent an email is sent with the current config.db.

My reasoning behind this feature. You don't always know when your thumb drive will fail and when was the last config you saved.

Here's an example:
Capture.PNG

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

The system already does this:

Note that while FreeNAS® automatically backs up the configuration database to the system dataset every morning at 3:45, this backup will not occur if the system is shutdown at that time and the backup will not be available if the system dataset is stored on the boot pool and the boot pool becomes unavailable. You can determine and change the location of the system dataset using System ‣ System Dataset.

zey

Explorer
Cool but that's only 1/3 of the feature I'm requesting. Great it backs up the configuration database to the system dataset. Wouldn't it be better to have the option to have it emailed to you encrypted even?

D

dlavigne

If you do a forum search for config.db you'll find several examples of scripts for automating where to send the db.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
I've made one, look at the link "Useful Scripts" in my signature if you want it ;)

gpsguy

Hey, we have another Astaro/Sophos user on the forum. There are a few of us here.

Reactions: zey

zey

Explorer

zey

Explorer
If you do a forum search for config.db you'll find several examples of scripts for automating where to send the db.

Yes I'm sure there's a whole $hitload of scripts and ways of getting things done just like there is for many others. However I'm hoping that it can some day be an easy to use feature in FreeNAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.