Aussie FreeNAS Build

anmnz

Patron
The rule of thumb for memory to storage space ratio is 1GB memory per 1TB of storage space. That means I would need 756GB of memory in this system.
You need to forget that rule of thumb! It needs to die. It is not useful for large systems. I would argue that it was only ever useful for systems with at most a few TB of disk, and now that the FreeNAS minimum is 8GB RAM it is totally obsolete. At your scale you need to be thinking about usage patterns, ARC size, and tons of other things. Not that old rule.

Last edited:

fmarxis

Cadet
I'll be curious to know how you go with a micro datacentre quotes. Make sure you get one that you can use like a split system so the heat is extracted outside.

I think these are more catered towards actual data centre grade customers who needs edge computing devices.... I got a quote for a 42RU MicroDC. And I do think the others are in a similar ball park...

Delivery and installation cost: $5125
Equipment cost: $25000
Annual Maintenance cost: $4900

craigdt

Explorer
I think these are more catered towards actual data centre grade customers who needs edge computing devices.... I got a quote for a 42RU MicroDC. And I do think the others are in a similar ball park...

Delivery and installation cost: $5125
Equipment cost: $25000
Annual Maintenance cost: $4900

:oops: which company was the quote from ?
for that price, you could buy a 42RU enclosed cabinet and have dual split system installed into it (reduancy) and a rack UPS and still be out on top.....
From what I read, micro data centres are there to make it cheaper than getting a server room built from scratch for businesses...

fmarxis

Cadet
:oops: which company was the quote from ?
for that price, you could buy a 42RU enclosed cabinet and have dual split system installed into it (reduancy) and a rack UPS and still be out on top.....
From what I read, micro data centres are there to make it cheaper than getting a server room built from scratch for businesses...

Oper8. I reached out to ZellaBox as well but their response is pretty slow. After asking me for an email, there was no further contact from them. I do have a aircon in my garage, so I will just use that. Much cheaper and already installed. I will just need to add a big enough UPS for my cabinet.