at my wits end with this

pschatz100

Guru
@madmikeee Did you solve your memory problem? In your first post, the memory you listed was non-ECC unbuffered DIMM, and what you need is ECC unbuffered DIMM's. Simply put, you had used the wrong kind of memory.

I have built three systems using X9-SCL and X9-SCM boards. Never once did I have a memory problem.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
This one should work without any issues, those are the ones I have, IIRC there were some issues with theses dimms but only on the X10 series, not on the X9.

Not correct. We have stock of this part literally marked with "not compatible with Ivy".

Not correct. We have stock of this part literally marked with "not compatible with Ivy".

Well, they work for me with a Xeon E3-1220V2, also work for the user in the thread you linked above, also with an Ivy Bridge CPU.

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Well the issue is really that they're marginal. That's the technical word to describe something that works sometimes and doesn't others; around here marginal is considered a hard fail. Depending on the manufacturer of the chips that populate the DIMM, you can get several possible behaviours. One is that it works in a fully populated configuration, another is that it works if only half populated, and the third is that it doesn't work at all. Especially in the case where it only works when half populated, there's a serious concern that these are running really close to some point at which they will produce errors or fail, so that's not acceptable.

There's a table somewhere around here that describes the various combinations of silicon manufacturer and CPU as to how it behaves, but I'm not motivated to look this up. The fact of the matter is that the poster that we are trying to help asked if this was a compatible part and I gave the correct answer to that question way back in this post:

https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/at-my-wits-end-with-this.77794/post-541660

Where I said

Not. That part is known to be trouble depending on which memory chips it was built with.

I don't care if a part with that label works for YOU, because we don't know who manufactured the chips on your part and we don't know if you are running fully populated. I am not going to suggest that part to someone who is building an Ivy because you don't know what you'll end up with. If he was building a Sandy I'd say go for it.

madmikeee

Dabbler
@madmikeee Did you solve your memory problem? In your first post, the memory you listed was non-ECC unbuffered DIMM, and what you need is ECC unbuffered DIMM's. Simply put, you had used the wrong kind of memory.

I have built three systems using X9-SCL and X9-SCM boards. Never once did I have a memory problem.

My major problem is finding proper ram within a budget.

madmikeee

Dabbler
I am finding plenty of ram with the proper specs and in budget, BUT it's the "generic" type, IE I search for CT102472BD160B
And come up with things like A-TECH, EQUIVALANT to CT102472BD160B. Which just tells me it's a crap shoot whether or not it will work.

madmikeee

Dabbler
Has anyone used A-Tech ram? I can get 2 of these new for 30 bucks total...

A-Tech 8GB Replacement for Hynix HMT41GU7MFR8C-H9 - DDR3 1333MHz PC3-10600 ECC Unbuffered UDIMM 2rx8 1.5v - Single Server Memory Ram Stick (HMT41GU7MFR8C-H9-ATC)

tfran1990

Patron
Has anyone used A-Tech ram?
A-Tech is just a rebrand, they slap a sticker on it. If they stated the ram original part number was CT102472BD160B
"kingston/samsung" for the most part it should be safe.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You're not likely to find brand new name brand memory for DDR3 unless it's been sitting on a shelf rotting somewhere, especially something somewhat esoteric like ECC UDIMM.

tfran1990

Patron
Im having a hard time right now trying to find ECC U Dimm for my ml10. The same stick i have kingston no longer makes exactly, the part number they say works is for 2400 ddr4, so it makes it more expansive then the first 2133 stick i got a while ago.

Next build im going with something that uses r Dimm, that way i can max the ram out for >100$

madmikeee

Dabbler
Yeah this will be the last time I use anything super micro. I have NEVER had so many problems finding compatible hardware

jgreco

Resident Grinch
It's not a Supermicro thing. It's a problem with Ivy Bridge CPU's and memory manufacturers. ECC UDIMM DDR3 was an esoteric product and it was basically Intel's call to go in that direction. If you want to blame the proper party, blame Intel.

madmikeee

Dabbler
That RAM WORKED!!!! I am mostly through the setup now. I had to order a second controller card as the on board SATA slots that my other drives are connected to couldn't be seen by freenas. No big deal on that one. I have been messing around and have gotten through a bit of it but Windows 10 did it's next "Feature Update" and hosed my shares. Now I cannot even see the NAS on my network...what a PITA...once my new controller card comes in and I install it I will be doing the actual config and 4TB of file transfers (Yay that will take a while) thanks for the help guys!!