Are you having trouble getting TrueNAS to email you in Gmail?

Jose Baars

Cadet
What about this notification Google sent recently ( see below for the gist)
Will Freenas start supporting OAuth to send emails?

Starting February 15, 2021, G Suite accounts will only allow access to apps using OAuth. Password-based access will no longer be supported.
Dear Administrator,
We’re constantly working to improve the security of your organization’s Google accounts. As part of this effort, and in consideration of the current threat landscape, we’ll be turning off access to less secure apps (LSA) — non-Google apps that can access your Google account with only a username and password, without requiring any additional verification steps. Access through only a username and password makes your account more vulnerable to hijacking attempts. Moving forward, only apps that support a more modern and secure access method called OAuth will be able to access your G Suite account.
Access to LSAs will be turned off in two stages:
  1. June 15, 2020 - Users who try to connect to an LSA for the first time will no longer be able to do so. This includes third-party apps that allow password-only access to Google calendars, contacts, and email via protocols such as CalDAV, CardDAV and IMAP. Users who have connected to LSAs prior to this date will be able to continue using them until usage of all LSAs is turned off.
  2. February 15, 2021 - Access to LSAs will be turned off for all G Suite accounts.
What do I need to do?
To continue using a specific app with your G Suite accounts, users in your organization must switch to a more secure type of access called OAuth. This connection method allows apps to access accounts with a digital key instead of requiring a user to reveal their username and password. We recommend that you share the user instructions (included below) with individuals in your organization to help them make the necessary changes. Alternatively, if your organization is using custom tools, you can ask the developer of the tool to update it to use OAuth. Developer instructions are also included below.

ShimadaRiku

Contributor
I would also like to know if FreeNAS will support Oauth as GSuite is what I use for email notifications.

tumblingthrough

Dabbler
Thanks (again).

diedrichg

Wizard
I checked in Jira and it was previously submitted at least twice - closed with status of "Engineering Closed" as "Resolution:Won't Do"
:(

diedrichg

Wizard

Yorick

Wizard
Keep in mind there is a new workflow now. If you submit this as a suggestion, it can then be voted on by the community. Suggestions with 10 or more votes are considered.

Good point. I forgot about that despite voting for a few features I thought would be good ideas.

I have created a new feature request: NAS-105905.

If folks would like to add their votes and suggestions/additional information maybe we can get this added.

KevDog

Patron
I voted for the issue but unfortunately this doesn't look like its gaining much traction.

itskando

Contributor
Still relevant.
Voted for the feature.
Thanks for doing the legwork team.

eightacre

Cadet
Are you having troubles getting FreeNAS to email you when setting up the email address parameters in Settings>Email? It could be because you have Google's 2-step verification enabled. You need to set an application-specific password for FreeNAS in your Google's security settings.

I'll first describe the steps to set an application-specific password and then I'll go over the settings for making sure you have the right parameters set in FreeNAS.

Assign an App Password in Gmail
  1. Go to your Gmail or Google page.
  2. Click your picture in the top-right
  3. Click Google Account
  4. Click Security on the left menu
  5. You will now see the section "Signing in to Google"
  6. If 2-step Verification is already enabled on your account then click "App Passwords"
  7. On this new page - At the bottom, click the drop-down box that says "Select app" - Click Mail
  8. Just to the right is a drop-down box that says "Select Device" - Click "Other (custom name)"
  9. Enter a name for your FreeNAS system
  10. Click Generate
  11. Copy the password that appears in the Yellow box, you will need this for your password in the FreeNAS Email settings - This is the only time you will ever be able to see this password so copy it. If you forget it, you will need to revoke the app password and start over.
  12. Click Done and exit
Gmail parameters for setting up an email address in FreeNAS to receive system notifications
  • From email: the from email address to be used when sending email notifications
  • Outgoing mail server: smtp.gmail.com
  • Port to connect to: 587 (for TLS)
  • TSL/SSL: TLS
  • Use SMTP Authentication: (checked)
  • Username: youremail@gmail.com
  • Password: (the password you copied from the Gmail App Password in step 10 above, not your normal Gmail password if you have Google's 2-step verification enabled. If you don't have Google's 2-step verification enabled then yes - enter your normal Gmail password.)
Changelog:
Jan 09, 2019:
Updated to the latest Google GUI layout
Jan 08, 2017: Changed the security to TLS and port 587.
Feb 11, 2016: Updated the app password section to reflect web page layout. I also added the notation to allow less secure apps (Thank you @Ruff.Hi )

Additional search tags
Hotmail, Yahoo mail, 2-factor, factor, two-factor, test email, 2-step, two-step

I get this:
EMAIL
Error: [EFAULT] Failed to send email: [Errno 65] No route to host

diedrichg

Wizard
I got an email from my server just yesterday so I know it's working. This sounds like a network issue on your end. Are you running a firewall like pfSense, OPNsense Sophos or Untangle?