API non root user? or other way to pull custom stats?

SMnasMAN

Contributor
Im just checking that im reading this part of the API v2 (v2 released recently) docs correct:

so as of 11.3 (and 12.0 coming soon), only the root user is able to (mainly read) use the API? is this correct still?

Im asking as im looking to pull some of my own data from FN into grafana (or other), and was hoping to use a read-only user/access to the API to accomplish this in my scripts.

ie I dont want to make *any* changes via these scripts, nor do i want to use the root login/pass in my scripts - so i just wanted to verify that this is still not an option.

Any other suggestions as to way to pull data/info from freenas? (i AM already using FN's built-in graphite output, and FN's syslogging)
(im mainly trying to gather PULL replication task status data, from some remote FN backup boxes).

(btw, it is VERY nice that FN/ixsys offers that graphite data output option, builtin thanks!)

thanks!

EDIT: unless others have some ideas, im thinking the best way maybe to have some simple bash or python scripts that run directly on the FN backup boxes themselves and push data directly into a remote graphite/Whisper DB. maybe?

In TrueNAS 12.0, you can create an API key. More information in the post below.