Anyone updated to U3?

Zwck

Patron
has anyone already updated to 11.2-U3

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
On my dev box, yes. No issues to report as yet.

Zwck

Patron
Updated as well, works like a charm

HenriH

Dabbler
Wait what, should you not update? I updated and none issues so far. Happy freenas user :)

KrisBee

Wizard
Wait what, should you not update? I updated and none issues so far. Happy freenas user :)

Some users are more cautious than others. FN11.2-U3 closed a multitude of issues, but there's another 150+ for FN11.2-U4, which is now due in 31 days, while FB11.1-U8 has been pushed back to "about two months...".

On one of my backup systems YES. So far, so good. If you're successfully using 11.2 on your main system, you're probably going to benefit by upgrading to U3. If you're still at 11.1, proceed more cautiously.

Last edited:

Evertb1

Guru
Wait what, should you not update? I updated and none issues so far. Happy freenas user
On my "production" server I will never be an early adapter. Unless an update contains something I just need to have I can wait a bit. And even if an update contains things I want to have, I do the update on my lab computer first. Luckely there are enough FreeNAS users who are early adapters and are willing to report any problems to the community. And it pays to be a bit cautious with your main FreeNAS box as is shown several times (I never updated to FreeNAS Corral for example).

Afterburner: I will never be an early adapter with changes on the OS or other software of any important computer (most of them are to me). That is, if I can help it. With maybe an exception of security repairs and serious bugfixes. That is just common sense and has nothing to do with FreeNAS.

Last edited:

Convict

Dabbler
Still on 9.10.2.- U6 . No need to update . Things run smoothly .

HenriH

Dabbler
On my "production" server I will never be an early adapter. Unless an update contains something I just need to have I can wait a bit. And even if an update contains things I want to have, I do the update on my lab computer first. Luckely there are enough FreeNAS users who are early adapters and are willing to report any problems to the community. And it pays to be a bit cautious with your main FreeNAS box as is shown several times (I never updated to FreeNAS Corral for example).
Does the community have any history of bad release that messed up raids etc .. ?

Evertb1

Guru
Does the community have any history of bad release that messed up raids etc .. ?
Not a real history afaik. FreeNAS has always been rock solid when it comes to protecting the data. That being said there certainly has been some scares lately see this thread.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
The most visible transition for the admin is likely the UI - from the Legacy UI to Coral and now 11.x. Transitioning to a re-sizable UI is certainly interesting but I actually prefer aspects of the old fixed-width Legacy UI because it wasn't as lazy re: space as the new one. With time, I expect the new UI to mature to the point where it's intuitive, etc.

Since 9.x the jails have changed, SMB Time Machine support is coming, we may even get ZRaid expansion at some point. Never mind updates inside the plumbing, i.e. our flavor of FreeBSD, drivers, and so on. All this mostly affects folk who are building now, with current hardware, vs. those who have an existing system that is running well. No reason to update an old rig other than "must have" features becoming available.

What constitutes a "must have" feature is certainly in the eye of the beholder. o_O

I have had no major issues with 11.2 U3. The only "bug" so far is not being able to create a 3-way mirror boot pool mirror when previous versions of FreeNAS allowed it. The issue I experienced re: not being able to remove a set of SLOGs likely would have affected every version of FreeNAS. A CLI command thankfully fixed that.

Last edited:

Zwck

Patron
u4?

Yorick

Wizard
No reason to update an old rig other than "must have" features becoming available.

I can think of two reasons:
Security fixes, even considering how unlikely it is that a FreeNAS box will be breached.
Ease of upgrade when that future killer feature does roll around. Going from 9.x to 12.x is going to be a lot more hassle than “keeping up” with major version releases. Waiting until a major version has had time to bake and is at U5 or at least U4, that I get.

No issues with 11.2-U4.1 btw, at least not for my simple use case - SMB, Plex jail, one vm.