Anyone running FreeNAS with Ryzen and ECC?

rangopango

Contributor
I would like to use Ryzen and ECC, because it's cheaper, comes with warranty and a lot easier to get in my country, since it's very difficult to get old server components.

How safe is it to use Ryzen and ECC with FreeNAS? Anyone running it? Does it run well? Any issues? Let me know, please. :)

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Are Ryzen motherboards that support ECC available yet?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I am not aware of any that are properly "server" boards, but there's some that are meant to be "workstation" grade and have officially stated that they support ECC.

Last edited:

Nick2253

Wizard

zac_baker

Cadet
I would like to use Ryzen and ECC, because it's cheaper, comes with warranty and a lot easier to get in my country, since it's very difficult to get old server components.

How safe is it to use Ryzen and ECC with FreeNAS? Anyone running it? Does it run well? Any issues? Let me know, please. :)
I have been running a Ryzen build, which has been up for over two weeks now. I have waited to post in here, so that I can be entirely sure it is stable. My build is using an ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB unbuffered ECC memory (2x4 in dual channel), Ryzen 5 2600 and 4x2TB WD Red drives in raid z1. (I am aware this isn't great for long-term data integrity, but for now, it suits me fine). I have successfully backed up two desktop computers, and have experimented with putting some steam games on it. For the most part, it has been relatively stress-free, and would recommend this as an alternative to expensive server gear, whilst not being quite as reliable.