Anyone got seafile working inside a jail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ovizii

Patron
I had found these instructions: http://manual.seafile.com/build_seafile/freebsd.html and then these which are related to freebsd 10 not nine: https://thebluber.wordpress.com/2015/04/21/install-seafile-server-seahub-on-freebsd/

I just wanted to see if anyone has got it working before embarking on this journey.

Also, any other recommendations for a simple file sync service to replace Dropbox?
- Owncloud too "convoluted" for me
- syncthing good for other purposes but not to replace Dropbox
- git-annex seems perfect for this and yet I have failed to get it working / comprehend it fully

D

dlavigne

Seeing that there is a FreeBSD pkg, why not just pkg install seafile ?

ovizii

Patron
oh no, now that's embarrassing :-(
I hadn't spotted that, will give it a try immediately and report back here.

ovizii

Patron
ah, well, created a new jail, did pkg install seafile, a bunch of dependencies got installed too.
Tried starting seafile, was told to enable it inside /etc/rc.conf by setting seafile_enable to YES, did so started it again, was asked if I had previously run setup-seafile.sh as I had not, I located that script: /usr/local/www/haiwen/seafile-server/setup-seafile.sh and ran it, was asked if I am sure I want to run it as root, said yes, got:

The seafile-server diretory doesn't contain all needed files.
Please make sure you have extracted all files and folders from tarball.

Error occured during setup.
Please fix possible issues and run the script again.

So there goes that :-(

###edit###
after further reading it turns out I needed seahub too: pkg install seahub and then the setup script worked: /usr/local/www/haiwen/seafile-server/setup-seafile.sh followed by /usr/local/www/haiwen/seafile-server/seahub.sh which gives an error so I ran through all of seahub's dependencies, missing these: pytz, django-post_office, python-dateutil (cannot find them with pkg)

hit this error at the end:
Code:
django.core.exceptions.ImproperlyConfigured: Creating a ModelForm without either the 'fields' attribute or the 'exclude' attribute is prohibited; form ContactAddForm needs updating.
Error:Seahub failed to start.
Please try to run "./seahub.sh start" again

ovizii

Patron
Hi everyone, yes I was part of the alpha/beta phases of both btsync as well as aerofs and unfortunately they don't feel adequate, they still feel like they've never left beta, sorry. Not wanting to diss them but they're not what I need. I've used syncthing for some specialized syncing, i.e. sync my mobile phone pics to my server too until it broke.
They're all ok, for their own niche purposes but definitely not a Dropbox replacement and they didn't feel "safe" enough to use them for my important docs.

just my 2 cents, your own experiences may differ.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
your own experiences may differ
Indeed. I've tried Seafile, ownCloud, BTSync, SyncThing and AeroFS. The only one I still use is BTSync. I ditched it around 1.4 and came back around 2.1, and it's been a long time since it screwed anything up for me. If I feel the need for a web interface and performance with large numbers of small files isn't an issue, I might try ownCloud again. I could see trying AeroFS again if they ever move away from a Java implementation. Those two seem to me to be closer to a Dropbox replacement than BTSync and SyncThing.
they didn't feel "safe" enough to use them for my important docs
Oh sure, I wouldn't trust any of them without having independent backups.

ovizii

Patron
Thx for the feedback, I'll keep poking at seafile for now but might check out btsync again sometime in the future due to your feedback.

tak21

Dabbler
Hi!
I would really like to get seafile working. And I am also stuck with seahub and here with "django.core.exceptions.AppRegistryNotReady: Apps aren't loaded yet."
Anyone any success?

ovizii

Patron
I haven't made any progress with seafile but gave btsync another try. Its not what I need, struggled to sync two existing folders one on my NAS with one on my desktop. didn't show me every file that was going to be synced and its location.

anyway, I'm back at using rsync.
can't believe there isn't a proper working self-hosted alternative to dropbox you can run on your NAS.

ovizii

Patron
Like sync thing?
Or owncloud?
Not looking to start a debate. that is simply my opinion but I'll answer your questions:

syncthing is great as a nice solution to a niche problem but its not like dropbox where I can selectively sync folders. its a one-on-one solution and works fine for that.
owncloud is a convoluted monster of a tool, doing about everything else on top of syncing (the whole groupware part) and runs on PHP. Again, not a dropbox alternative.

danb35

Hall of Famer
owncloud is a convoluted monster of a tool, doing about everything else on top of syncing (the whole groupware part) and runs on PHP. Again, not a dropbox alternative.
So because you can install additional apps in owncloud that do more than Dropbox, owncloud isn't a Dropbox alternative? How does that thought process work?

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
I want to love ownCloud, but it proved inadequate for my workload. Complexity wasn't the issue, it was latency, i.e. the overhead per file synced. In my tests it was on the order of whole seconds, which is not viable when I frequently do operations that result in the sudden need to sync many thousands of small files. If I understand correctly, that's something a PHP-based implementation will always struggle to overcome.

If your workload is less bursty, ownCloud is surely worth another look.

Status
Not open for further replies.