any recommendation for a rackmount hw 1U I could use with freenas

benoitc

Cadet
I'm looking for a compatible rackmount 1U storage server I could use with freenas. Do you have any recommendation. This is a pretty low level usage for 20 users max and 4-10TB of data. Any idea is welcome. I'm looking preferably for hardware with a public price.

blanchet

Guru
Typical 1U servers have only 4x 3.5inches bays accessible from the front. In this case you can have up to 28 TB with 4 x 14 TB harddisks ( 2 x mirrors).

• If you are located in the USA, you can buy a 1U FreeNAS-certified server from iXsystems, which is basicallly a iX-1104 server with a preinstalled FreeNAS. This server is based on the SuperMicro X10SRH-CLN4F, which an built-in Broadcom 3008 SAS controller. So you can use either SAS or SATA hard disks.
  • If you are located in Europe, you can easily buy from Thomas-Kreen. They have also a large catalog of 1U servers. They know FreeNAS, so they can help you to configure your server for this purpose.

If you need more than 4 disks, Supermicro has some models with 12 x 3.5" hard disks in 1U, but these models are less common and therefore they are more difficult to purchase. https://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1U/

Last edited: