Not open for further replies.

image132

Dabbler
Specs:

CPU: Intel core 2 duo E6700 2.66Ghz
RAM: 2gb ddr2
HDD: 4X2TB in raid-z
Using onboard sata.

I'm getting about 50mb/s write and 60mb/s read. I'm pretty unhappy with that as I did some testing before buying the hdd's with the same setup, same setting except the hdds I used were 2X250gb and 1X320 all in raid-z. One of the 250gb was an ide drive. With the test setup I was getting 90-100 mb/s throughput. Freenas is servicing windows 7 machines. I've enable large RW and AIO, I'm even copying the same 42gb file for both setups.

Anyone know why there is a massive difference in performance? Any advice on setting I can change? I find it hard to believe newer 64mb cache drivers are slower than a IDE 16mb cache drive.

Any help would be appreciated.

ProtoSD

MVP
Look in one of the OTHER bad performance threads ;) The settings have been posted several times. Also try turning off AIO.

image132

Dabbler
I have looked through lots but many don't seem to be relevant. Also turning off AIO did nothing.

Hexland

Contributor
To begin, 2Gb RAM is too small. 4Gb is a recommended minimum to start with.

Also, make sure that your new 2Tb drives are not advanced format... if they are, ensure that when you format them - you use the 4K formatting option. My read/write speed was about 1/8th because one of the drives in my pool was a WD-EARS drive until I changed the formatting.

Status
Not open for further replies.