Anomalous HDD Temp reading.

So I woke up this morning, checked my emails, and noticed an alert from my FreeNAS box. Apparently 1 of my 6 disks was reporting a temperature of 125 degrees Celsius.
New alerts:
* Device: /dev/ada2, Temperature 125 Celsius reached critical limit of 45 Celsius (Min/Max ??/125).

Current alerts:
* Scrub of pool 'NASPool' finished.
* Scrub of pool 'freenas-boot' finished.
* Device: /dev/ada2, Temperature 82 Celsius reached critical limit of 45 Celsius (Min/Max 30/82!).
* Device: /dev/ada2, Failed SMART usage Attribute: 190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel..
* Device: /dev/ada2, Temperature 120 Celsius reached critical limit of 45 Celsius (Min/Max ??/120).
* New feature flags are available for volume NASPool. Refer to the "Upgrading a ZFS Pool" subsection in the User Guide "Installing and Upgrading" chapter and "Upgrading" section for more instructions.
* Device: /dev/ada2, Temperature 125 Celsius reached critical limit of 45 Celsius (Min/Max ??/125).

Now, a quick spot check of my study (after changing my pants...) showed that my server was not actually melting, and taking the front cover off and touching the front of /dev/ada2 did not boil the flesh from my fingertips, so I am beginning to suspect that the temperature my not be reporting correctly.

All of the other disks are reporting normal temps of around 32 degrees, importantly the two disks on either side of /dev/ada2 (there are 4 disks in a caddy that stacks them fairly close to each other) are reporting normal. Plus with the way the cooling works in the HP ML10v2 case it pulls the air over the disks and then over the CPU cooler via a shroud, I am fairly sure that a disk at 125 degrees would increase the CPU temp a little beyond its normal.. it isn't.

I'm running FreeNAS 11.3, in a HP ML10v2 case with 6 2Tb drives. 4 Seagates and 2 WD REDS.

Now, my question for the experts here is is there anything I can do to test/verify/confirm the temp?
Is the fact that the reported temp so high an indication of a failing disk perhaps ('m leaning towards Yes here...)?
And what more information do you need that I have forgotten to supply?

Regards
J.

So I got home from work and turned the NAS back on after having been turned off for the day, 10 hours or so.

Booted up fine, ran "smartctl -A /dev/ada2" and it shows the temp at 140 degrees..... at boot up.... ??

Does anyone have ANY idea what is going on?

Well that was fun. I just purchased a new replacement disk (WD Red), pulled apart my server, installed the new drive, replaced/resilvered the drive into the pool AND the temperature STILL reads 140 degrees for the replacement drive.

I that assumed I was being stupid and confirmed the SN of the drive I removed, confirmed the SN of the drive I inserted, yes I removed and replaced the correct drive.

So now that I have removed the disk as the point of failure does anyone have any idea what is wrong with my FreeNAS install in that it is reporting 140 degree disks.

Anyone?

Most disks are specced at 60°C max. operational temperature, so there is no way a disk can be 125. And after you swapped it for a new drive, the reading is still the same?
I would thoroughly check the cabling, if that doesn't help, backup the config and do a fresh install of FN.

Most disks are specced at 60°C max. operational temperature, so there is no way a disk can be 125. And after you swapped it for a new drive, the reading is still the same?
I would thoroughly check the cabling, if that doesn't help, backup the config and do a fresh install of FN.
Replaced the disk, the reading was the same, nothing is clearing melting. It does look like the fresh install is the next thing to try.