And another 2TB drive dies... Samsung F4 this time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tekkie

Patron
Looks like the god of storage does not like me, or my little TeraStation are terrorizing my FreeNAS system as they know they are about to be replaced. :(

Yesterday another 2TB drive, died this time a Samsung F4, which means my Seagates are the only drives which haven't bailed on me yet. :)

B

Bohs Hansen

Drives dieing aint fun. Over at the Qnap forums a lot of ppl have had trouble with the F4 but they all swear to the F3 (old and expensive now, cause not build anymore).
Have had good experience with Seagate myself, as long as you make sure you update the firmware on the drives (offen ship with dodgy ones when relative new)

Tekkie

Patron
Interesting most horror stories I've found on the net concern Seagate, could well be because of the firmware... As for this F4 the weird thing is that the drive appears to be fine from a sector perspective, its just that it switches off at random and I have to reboot the FreeNAS to get it back.

B

Bohs Hansen

i think you can find those horror stories about any hdd manufacturer :)

Milhouse

Guru
@Tekkie, just out of interest did you run the Samsung drive diagnostics against the F4 when you go it? I normally run the long test on new disks, which takes about 8 hours on a 2TB disk... if you did, presumably your disk passed with flying before then failing after a couple of weeks (I realise that disks can fail at any time for mechanical reasons, just wondering though if a full diagnostic was run beforehand).

Tekkie

Patron
Nah I didn't run any tests, however I did do an 8x24 long rsync (very slow) bashing of the drives.

jafin

Explorer
Just to balance the story, 20 F4's here going strong over 8 months (24x7)... mind you i expect them to fail, just like every other brand of drive that sits in my dead drive graveyard (out of warranty). Sofar nothing is as bad as the horror that was deskstar's click of death. The ratio of good/bad was horrid with those drives...

I've probably replaced 200 of those deskstars over the past 5 years where i work... this one time, we setup a bunch as dominoes because they were all out of warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.