AMD Threadripper build.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
How is this working? Did you upgrade to FreeNAS 11.2 - RELEASE yet?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
think a HDMI to USB-C might work instead of gettinga GPU?
If you mean DisplayLink, forget about that. It requires a driver.

If you mean something involving either HDMI or DisplayPort alternate modes in a USB Type C connector, those aren't magic and require quite a bit of supporting logic. And a GPU.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I thought about the GPU occupying the x16 slot. IIRC there are some GPUs that don't need all 16 lanes (or whatever the x16 stands for) and one could use a PCI e riser to convert a single x16 slot into for example two x8 slots... Edit: and put a GPU into one of them and other stuff into the other

Sent from my phone
It's not always possible. Bifurcation requires some hardware support, as I understand it.
@Stux, has looked into it, if I recall correctly.

Apollo

Wizard
How is this working? Did you upgrade to FreeNAS 11.2 - RELEASE yet?
If the question is addressed to me, then yes.
I commented on the Release post.
The upgrade went much better than my G4600.
My Threadripper build has been running on Freenas 11.2-RC1 and has been running strong for 50 days straight until I upgraded to Freenas 11.2 Release a couple of days ago.

I need to address the NVME issue though. Any thought on that?

newfreenas

Dabbler

pro lamer

Guru
I need to address the NVME issue though. Any thought on that?
Does it happen no matter what m.2 slot you try?

Sent from my phone

Apollo

Wizard
Does it happen no matter what m.2 slot you try?

Sent from my phone
I have tried only one of the three M.2 slot. It is by no means a complete and thorough test.
I don't think I will be able to go over it for a while. I don't want to have to experiment on it for too long as I am hosting Nextcloud and is being used by my relatives.
I will try to test it on my main PC, but I find surprising, whoever designed NVME screw retention mechanism, did such a poor implementation. It takes more time trying to align and secure the screen than it takes to run a Marathon.

newfreenas

Dabbler
just a quick update because I thought I would be rolling today, my cpu fan appears defective as I saw it skyrocketing in bios approaching 70 degrees, I have since turned off and may have to wait until weekend before a proper cooler arrives (went with Noctua u14s)

prior to that I installed FreeNAS 11.2 successfully but ahd some weird USB issues, had to move from 2.0 to 3.0 port and reinstall the installer from 'rufus' and then it worked.

will update soon after I am up and running!

newfreenas

Dabbler
quick update, I put everything together and everything seems to be running great! head some issues with installation had to disable and enable some functionality on mobo but no other visible issues yet. still have it very minimally configured but was testing out bhyve functionality and will be building out jails/etc later next week but otherwise everything is awesome, and very quick.

pro lamer

Guru
quick update, I put everything together and everything seems to be running great.
Which of the two coolers have used?

Sent from my phone

newfreenas

Dabbler
Which of the two coolers have used?

Sent from my phone

Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 Premium-Grade 140mm (x2 fan)

works great - that being said I am not doing any overclocking. CPU temp hangs around 35 C for the time being.

if you enable javascript you can click 'show my system' to see what I have.

Apollo

Wizard
Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 Premium-Grade 140mm (x2 fan)

works great - that being said I am not doing any overclocking. CPU temp hangs around 35 C for the time being.

if you enable javascript you can click 'show my system' to see what I have.
I don't think you need to do much overclocking.

rvassar

Guru
I thought about the GPU occupying the x16 slot. IIRC there are some GPUs that don't need all 16 lanes (or whatever the x16 stands for) and one could use a PCI e riser to convert a single x16 slot into for example two x8 slots... Edit: and put a GPU into one of them and other stuff into the other

Sent from my phone

I'm a little late to the discussion, but yes, there are GPU's that do not require the x16 slot. Zotac makes a GT 710 card that fits in an PCIe x1 slot. I have one, that I tried to use in a server chassis that only has x1/x4/x8 slots, but it did not work, most likely a BIOS issue.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...1&cm_re=GT710_PCIe_x_1-_-14-500-395-_-Product

newfreenas

Dabbler
updating after some burn in time, running 5 VM's playing and doing work with them and I am very happy. zero issues with storage, a couple issues with VM's but solely related to bhyve and hosting non-bsd systems.

thank you again all!

Yeang

Cadet
@newfreenas @Apollo Thanks to all your guidance, I got FreeNAS 11.2U5 up and running on my Threadripper 1950X on a Asrock Taichi X399 board. i have a LSI HBA with it, and it seems like Asrock BIOS v3.50 has taken care of the issues with LSI cards on boot (as suggested on another forum, might be servethehome).

Performance is great. I have an Ubuntu Server VM running for my Homeseer home automation.

The only thing I experienced is the shutdown bug that was mentioned in the beginning of the thread, initiating a shutdown from the CLI does not shut down the computer completely.

Have you found a solution or workaround to this?

Thanks!
Yeang

Arwen

MVP
@newfreenas @Apollo...
The only thing I experienced is the shutdown bug that was mentioned in the beginning of the thread, initiating a shutdown from the CLI does not shut down the computer completely.

Have you found a solution or workaround to this?

Thanks!
Yeang
Do you use the "-p" option for shutdown?
Like this?

shutdown -p now

When I used the Linux "shutdown -h now", FreeNAS did no power off.

Apollo

Wizard
Do you use the "-p" option for shutdown?
Like this?

shutdown -p now

When I used the Linux "shutdown -h now", FreeNAS did no power off.
Hi,

I usually shutdown from the web interface.
But, no, I haven't found a workaround for it.

ohboi

Dabbler
Do you have some update on how it is going currently? Do you use a newer release of FreeNAS?

newfreenas

Dabbler
Generally it is awesome and working as I had hoped. I am running FreeNAS-11.2-U7 (mostly because I've been irrationally afraid to upgrade and been busy with work)

I am primarily playing with a handful of VM's including openbsd/freebsd/debian/ubuntu and am running docker on a debian box (tried out rancheros but did go very far on this mostly due to lack of familiarity.)

as a result of spending most of my times in VM's I have not learned as much zfs as I had liked. i.e. I have some automatic snapshot tasks for some things that are critical for me but I feel my config is fairly vanilla in that side of the house.

I am experiencing an issue [0] but this is with one vm (openbsd 6.6) regarding the interface bouncing all day... but I do not think this is related at all to the host architecture or config. I have 2 other openbsd vm's 6.5 and 6.4 without any issue -- the 6.6 had an issue because the upgrade defaulted to a single cpu architecture however I have not spent enough time in resolving it.

regarding storage/backup and as a home NAS -- I am incredibly happy with FreeNAS as a choice (a friend of mine was suggesting synology) and I am excited about the merging of FreeNAS into TrueNAS. one of my next goals for my freenas build is to get a second ssd as a redundant boot disk... I do not see any reason why my choice of cpu/mobo would have any issue with these sorts of items as it has been working great as is.

let me know if you have any questions on things I can look at

[0] https://www.ixsystems.com/community...e-changed-to-up-many-times.71983/#post-574009