Am I doing something wrong to use snapshots?

SeaFox

Explorer
So, I have an Iocage jail I am running Airsonic on. I wanted to upgrade but I had a few issues with the last newer version of Airsonic I tried. So I decided to take a snapshot of the jail first, so I could roll back to the previous iteration of stuff easily if it didn't work out. I went to Storage > Snapshots > [Add] and chose the correct jail dataset (I picked the "main" one and not the "root" subgroup), gave it a name, and hit Save.

After waiting a short bit a SSH'd into the server and stopped the Airsonic service, renamed the old WAR to .old and copied the new WAR file over, started the Airsonic service, blahblahblah...

Anyway, things did not work out with the new version. So I stopped the Airsonic service again and went back to rollback to the snapshot -- but it didn't seem to work. Nothing had changed. I still had the new Airsonic running when I restarted it. I was under the impression Snapshots where supposed to save previous storage states so if I rolled back the new Airsonic should be gone, among other changes (because the file did not exist when I created the snapshot).

Am I misunderstanding how snapshots work? Or did I set it up wrong. Do I need to choose the [jail_id]/root dataset? Or check the recursive box? The FreeNAS guide doesn't really explain the differences in these options.

sretalla