All my videos files are zero

javcarbe

Dabbler
Using FreeNAS-11.3-U4.1
8 hard drives 8 TB each
I did an export library in KODI multiple files and when the process finish i see all the videos are 0kb... is anything i can do to get my files back? kind like restore files a week ago?
Thanks,

c77dk

Patron
If you have setup snapshots (one of my favorite features in ZFS) you can restore from them

javcarbe

Dabbler
How can I check that? attached is the picture of the snapshots webgui.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-10-19 at 12.56.56 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-10-19 at 12.56.56 PM.jpeg
    61.9 KB · Views: 152

JaimieV

Guru
When you export files from Kodi, doesn't that re-encode them? Sounds like the exported files were zero bytes, won't you still have the originals in place?

If not, then scroll down your Snapshots until you find the snaps of the volume with your missing videos in. Pick the datestamped one you want to roll back to, hit the ">" and choose Rollback. It's a lot easier to see what you're doing on a larger browser!

javcarbe

Dabbler
Attached some pictures of my snapshots
the day i got the issues was 10/16 , Im not sur which was my solution, also i was exporting the library and emby was checking the metadata same folders....
folders affected are
\\freenas\javierdata\MOVIES
\\freenas\javierdata\TVSHOWS

Attachments

• Capture33.JPG
    Capture33.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 143
  • Capture22.JPG
    Capture22.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 139
  • Capture11.JPG
    Capture11.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 138

JaimieV

Guru
The snapshots you need are the ones for the MOVIES and TVSHOWS datasets. Don't look at shares, that's not very helpful - they don't describe where the source folders are on the FreeNAS.

The images you've added all show the emby/root filesystem, which is not where movies etc are stored, just the metadata and emby itself.

Go to Storage, Pools and identify which dataset(s) the MOVIES and TVSHOWS shares are in. You may need to refer to Sharing, Windows Shares entries for MOVIES and TVSHOWS if you're not 100% sure.

Now go to Storage, Snapshots and look for snapshots of those datasets. Roll them back to the 15th.

If you don't have any snapshots of them, you're out of luck (unless you have backups).

But actually, I still think that you have all the original movies etc still, just that Emby has lost the references or some such thing. If you look in \\freenas\\javierdata\\MOVIES using Windows Explorer, are they really zero bytes?

diedrichg

Wizard
Unrelated comment: You can simply place your movies and tv shows, both as folders, under one dataset. This will make permissions easier. It's fine if you leave them as their own dataset since you've already setup the permissions, it's just easier to have them as directories under a dataset. Datasets are intended to be walled gardens for user/application permissions.

javcarbe

Dabbler
The snapshots you need are the ones for the MOVIES and TVSHOWS datasets. Don't look at shares, that's not very helpful - they don't describe where the source folders are on the FreeNAS.

The images you've added all show the emby/root filesystem, which is not where movies etc are stored, just the metadata and emby itself.

Go to Storage, Pools and identify which dataset(s) the MOVIES and TVSHOWS shares are in. You may need to refer to Sharing, Windows Shares entries for MOVIES and TVSHOWS if you're not 100% sure.

Now go to Storage, Snapshots and look for snapshots of those datasets. Roll them back to the 15th.

If you don't have any snapshots of them, you're out of luck (unless you have backups).

But actually, I still think that you have all the original movies etc still, just that Emby has lost the references or some such thing. If you look in \\freenas\\javierdata\\MOVIES using Windows Explorer, are they really zero bytes?

javierdata/iocage/jails/emby/root
I know i mount the folders in the emby (library) if I rollback can get the files? I see referenced 2.86G, also i have another snapshots from september referenced almost 8G.
Im very confuse now, if i can get the files or not. Also the files show the created day not the day change the size to 0kb. Very Rare case.

JaimieV

Guru
I'll be pretty surprised if that really is the right place, but it can't do much damage to try.

First, stop the Emby jail under Jails or Plugins.

Go ahead and find the snapshot for the 15th October, hit '>' and Rollback. Once it's done, you can restart the Emby and see if it made the difference. Just remember that you can only roll back, you can't roll forward again to a later date, so work your way backwards.

I'd be interested to see the definition of the "MOVIES" share, with the paths? Does it really point into the Emby jail? The usual way to do things is to have them in a "media" folder out in the main pool, and then tell the Emby plugin that it can mount the pool/media/movies and /pool/media/tvshows folders. For safety you would mount them into the Emby plugin readonly so Emby can't modify them either.

Reason being that if you delete the emby plugin (or an upgrade of it goes astray) then you may delete all your media.

JaimieV

Guru
Okay! So the *actual* rollback you want is for /mnt/javierdata/MOVIES and /mnt/javierdata/TVSHOWS. That's where the actual data is. You've got them mapped to the Emby plugin so it can see them too, that's what that screen means but it's not interesting for a rollback.

In Storage, Pools, what do you have? Please hit the ">" to unfold everything except iocage - what's in iocage doesn't concern us for this.

javcarbe

Dabbler
Any Freelancer can help me with this issue remotely? . I don't want mess it up.
Thanks,

javcarbe

Dabbler
Thanks to JaimieV to spend some time checking my Server, not able to recovery not snapshot files. Any idea around to recovery the files 10/15 the day i lost my data.

1603394557812.png

JaimieV

Guru
Thanks to Javier's confidence in me, I did a remote check on the system. There were no snapshots of the javierdata pool, and whatever Emby did on the 15th definitely wrote over all the movie files with a zero-byte version.

Looking in Reporting as above, I could see the space used drop precipitously on the 15th. I'm not familiar with Emby (I use Plex) and I don't know why it would do such a terrible thing.

I have set up automatic snapshots to protect Javier's data in the future, but that doesn't help recover.

Does anyone have any clever ideas?

JaimieV

Guru
Javier: In your Emby (and any other media server plugins), when you set up the Mount Points for it, please be sure to tick the "read only" box. This will prevent a rogue plugin from trashing your data in the future. You can edit this now, I didn't think to change them myself.
Some plugins will complain about this, but unless they *need* read+write, don't give it to them.