[Alerts] Scrub is running

Status
Not open for further replies.

BloodyIron

Contributor
Hi Folks,

Not sure if I'm posting in the right area, but I think it would be nice to have the Alert system within FreeNAS tell me if a scrub is running at the time I'm looking at it. Sure, I know how to find out myself, but this could help me and others more rapidly ascertain any "performance issues" that might not be actual issues.

Just a thought :)

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
If you have email notifications set up you'll get an email when a scrub starts.

BloodyIron

Contributor
Be that as it may, that's not what I'm proposing here.

If you have email notifications set up you'll get an email when a scrub starts.

INCSlayer

Contributor
for me the alert is only for things that are bad/broken whereas a scrub is something that is completely normal and fine so it shouldnt be on the alert

diskdiddler

Wizard
I've posted this kind of thing before, to get any UI changes in this OS is a nightmare. The majority of the devs are hard and fast fixed in certain ways, perhaps they are time limited.

I recall proposing, no array rebuild during a scrub (disk replace) or no FULL smart test during a scrub - in the very least a 'pop up' notification in the top right indicating 'hey scrub in process, are you sure'
I think I got some traction, but not much.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Wow, that is a 5 month old thread you pulled on. But if someone wants this feature, add it to the Bug Report Features and if enough people want it, it will eventually get included, maybe.

But it would be nice to just add a feature like that, maybe create a listing of items for which a popup would be nice to have and make those as an option which the user can select. Call it "System Busy Popups" and it can cover a variety of things instead of just a scrub. I wouldn't imagine the list would be very long.

Stux

MVP
And possibly GUI changes don't get so much traction because a new GUI is coming in FN10.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Wow, that is a 5 month old thread you pulled on. But if someone wants this feature, add it to the Bug Report Features and if enough people want it, it will eventually get included, maybe.

But it would be nice to just add a feature like that, maybe create a listing of items for which a popup would be nice to have and make those as an option which the user can select. Call it "System Busy Popups" and it can cover a variety of things instead of just a scrub. I wouldn't imagine the list would be very long.

There's a plethora of very small, simple interface changes which would reduce a significant amount of posts on this forum.
I've tried my hand at suggesting at least 3 things at a guess and most of the time it's shot down as pointless.

This is somewhat understandable as development time isn't free, but I have also given up trying.

And possibly GUI changes don't get so much traction because a new GUI is coming in FN10.

I know, frankly I'm god-damned-terrified. I am a pessimist and I'm not entirely confident the new UI will be any good, I'm sure it'll animate slickly or do some stuff, but will even more things be hidden away or not displayed or you need to do 2 steps where you previously needed to do 1?
I may set up a VM of FN10 in a few months when it starts to sound better, but as per my comment above, I'm not sure any suggestions will gain any traction.

Stux

MVP
There's a plethora of very small, simple interface changes which would reduce a significant amount of posts on this forum.
I've tried my hand at suggesting at least 3 things at a guess and most of the time it's shot down as pointless.

This is somewhat understandable as development time isn't free, but I have also given up trying.

I know, frankly I'm god-damned-terrified. I am a pessimist and I'm not entirely confident the new UI will be any good, I'm sure it'll animate slickly or do some stuff, but will even more things be hidden away or not displayed or you need to do 2 steps where you previously needed to do 1?
I may set up a VM of FN10 in a few months when it starts to sound better, but as per my comment above, I'm not sure any suggestions will gain any traction.

Might be worthwhile doing it now while it's in beta and not actually locked down...

diskdiddler

Wizard
Might be worthwhile doing it now while it's in beta and not actually locked down...

Well honestly based on feedback I've seen on this forum regarding it in the past few months and just how many posts there are, I'm kind of shocked to hear it's in beta already.

I'll take a quick peek this afternoon.

diskdiddler

Wizard
I'm trying it now, I have some issues, I am pedantic but.......... anyhow - where should I provide the feedback? New thread in here under development?

Some inconsistencies - nothing major.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Status
Not open for further replies.