After Update to 11.2 FreeNAS gets unresponsive when moving / deleting files over SMB

benlin

Cadet
Hi Folks,

after the update to 11.2 I have issues with access to SMB-shares (Ubuntu 18.04 and Windows 10). To mention is, that my FreeNAS is running on esxi. The behavior is not clearly reproducible, but I got often following result:
  1. Access to SMB share (same behavior from Ubuntu 18.04 or Windows 10 Client)
  2. Move a file from one place to another folder
  3. FreeNAS maxes out the CPU capacity and gets unresponsive
  4. Even after a 24 h waiting period the CPU is still maxed out and FreeNAS not responding
  5. To get it up and running again I have to do a hard reset
I could not find other complaints on the forum or the net. What am I missing and how can I find out the fault? I have this set-up running since a year or so and had no issues so far. I believe the problem to be more originating in FreeNAS since esxi and other virtual machines are not affected when FreeNAS is maxing out the CPU. Where can I start looking for the cause?

Help is much appreciated.

Code:
Motherboard: Supermicro X11SSM-F
CPU: Intel G4400 (1 vCPU assigned to FreeNAS)
RAM: 32 GB RAM (10 GB assigned to FreeNAS)
HBA: Broadcom LSI SAS 9207-8i Storage controller passed to FreeNAS
HDD: The SMB share sits on a mirrored pool of 2 6TB WD-Red HDDs

Code:
VMWare esxi 6.7 as base
FreeNAS FreeNAS-11.2-RELEASE-U1 (Build Date: Dec 20, 2018 22:41)

freenaspat

Cadet
@benlin
I was having the similar issue since installing FreeNAS recently.
Although I don't see high CPU, I do see unreliable file transfers using MacOS SMB clients.
I found a workaround in this thread (see post #10) over in the Installation & Updates forum.
It's working well for me. Maybe it'll work for you as well.

benlin

Cadet
Thanks for the feedback. I Tried to set net.inet.tcp.reass.maxqueuelen to values of 4096 and 16384 as indicated. FreeNAS is still freezing when moving, copying or deleting files. :(