After Update, not booting.

dome_rges

Cadet
Hi there,

i just updated my FreeNAS system (over the WEBGUI) and now it is not booting,
"Checksum verification failed"

I never made a backup of the system because I just started working with the FreeNAS system.

Can I just reinstall the FreeNAS system and "import" the already used Harddisks?
(ZFS filesystem/pool)

Any suggestions what my next steps should be?

Greetings,
Dome

Last edited by a moderator:

m0nkey_

MVP
As per the forum rules, please post details about your hardware, including boot media in this case.

dome_rges

Cadet
HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T, 1P, 2 GB-U, B120i

I cannot get any information on my FreeNAS system, cause I can't start it :-(

Maybe I should just reinstall the FreeNAS system.
But I am not sure if I get back my data on the old hard drives.

dome_rges

Cadet
The exact error message is:
Code:
error: overlap detected.
error: chesum verification failed.
error: only FreeBSD supports environment.
error: no FreeBSD loaded.
error: only FreeBSD supports module.
Press any key to continue...

(this leads back to the GRUB bootmanager)

dome_rges

Cadet
Ok, I installed a new FreeNAS system on a other USB Drive.
When I am trying to import the old Hard-Disk, in "Import Volume"-Wizard, the drive is not showing up in the dropdown menu,
but it is listed in "view disks"

Do I need to try an older version?
(I think i was running 9.1. before the system crashed)

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Install the version of freenas that you had originally. Are you only using 2gb of memory? If you are you need to read the system requirements because you're doing something wrong.

dome_rges

Cadet
Is there any-chance to find out the Version i was using before? (maybe on the usb-drive of the old, demaged, system?)
(i upgraded to 8gb, that were original system specs wenn i bought the system, sorry for that ...)

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
Do I need to try an older version?
(I think i was running 9.1. before the system crashed)

Version 9.2.1.9 was the last one that supported UFS volumes. If you are unsure about ZFS being used try to create a bootable 9.2.1.9 medium and try to import the volume from there.

Unfortunately the layout of the boot medium (partitioning, file system(s)) was changed from 9.2.x to 9.3, too. I don't know if there is an universal and easy way to identify the FreeNAS version that was used on your old boot medium.

Darklion

Explorer
Hello, maybe you can help me.

I have a Dell R910 with 4 xeons 2.26 and 184gb of RAM. I am using 2 64GB of RAM and was using the last FreeNAS version 12U7.

For some reason my system froze and the only option I had was to prees the power button untill it went off and then power back up, But after this the system wouln't boot any more, it tells me that ZFS found the pool "freenas-boot" but then it says "can't read MOS of poool-boot" and the "failed to load '/boot/loader.efi' and then it tells me "No boot device available"

so I don't know what to do cuz I try to install the system on another USB but at the end I couldn't import my pools.

can you halp me?

I want to clerify that my the system was setup to boot on UEFI, so I try to boot on BIOS and obviously it wont boot.

Attachments

• 20200125_051908[1].jpg
    20200125_051908[1].jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 197
  • 20200125_051541[1].jpg
    20200125_051541[1].jpg
    271 KB · Views: 175