After power outage Freenas wont boot.

KhitSicker

Cadet
I had an extended power outage while away from home yesterday and my freenas 11.2 will not longer boot. The system will post and all the HDDs are detected by the sas controllers but it stop at "Shortening read at 62656632 from 16 to 9" the system locks up at this point and has to be hard powered off.

I had Freenas running off a 32gb usb stick I reinstalled it on a brand new stick and still get the same error. I have tried all the usb ports on the server with no luck.

the hardware is an old supermicro 4u intel chassis with 16 3.5in bays and 16gb ram. I have all 16 bays full of 4tb sata drives running on 2 LSI 9211-8i cards. All the hdds showup in the drive listings and dont appear to have any issues. Everything was working properly before the power outage.

any ideas?

garm

Wizard
I would disconnect the drives and run memtest on the machine to try and isolate the component that is acting up

KhitSicker

Cadet
memtest came up clean. also i tried booting the system with 1 drive disconnected at a time cycling through them to see if there was a singular bad drive and the results were the same. it will boot to cd with all drives attached or it will boot to the freenas usb stick with all drives disconnected... if i boot to the freenas stick then plug all the drives in will it mess anything up?

Wortzinator

Cadet
I had the same issue today. My power went out while I was at work. When I got home I got back to my FreeNAS booting to my bios menu. My issue was that for some reason the boot order got messed up. All I had to do was reorder my boot drive to my USB and it worked again. I don't know if this is in line with the troubleshooting you have already done or not.

KhitSicker

Cadet
I had the same issue today. My power went out while I was at work. When I got home I got back to my FreeNAS booting to my bios menu. My issue was that for some reason the boot order got messed up. All I had to do was reorder my boot drive to my USB and it worked again. I don't know if this is in line with the troubleshooting you have already done or not.

not quite the same. the boot order appears to be fine. I havent had any issue with it not booting to cd or usb. once it finishes posting and when it goes to boot to the freenas usb stick with all drives attached i get that shortening 62656632 from 16 to 9 message and it locks up.