Affordable server

Status
Not open for further replies.

lukyjay

Contributor
Hi

I have taken the advice received from my previous thread as well as search results within this forum. I'm looking for feedback and opinions on the below build.

Use: Plex (1x 1080p transcode, 1x 1080p stream), HTPC software (sonarr, couchpotato, nzbget, etc). In the future I'd also like this server to control some IP cameras for security.

CPU: $470 aud - Intel xeon E3-1245 (it's only a few dollars more than 1240) 3.50GHz, quad core
Motherboard: $259 aud - MSI MSI C236A. I know its a workstation board, but I don't care for the server features such as IPMI, and SuperMicro is nowhere near this price in Australia.
Memory: $100 aud (x2 = $200) Samsung M391A1G43DB0-CPB ECC 8GB x2 (16GB to start with, but will upgrade to 32 in the future)
PSU: Unsure at this point. How many watts would I need for the above + 12 sata drives? I am hoping not more than 650.

I already own harddrives and a case.

I decided on the above CPU after reading the recommended hardware PDF on these forums. I decided on the motherboard after seeing a lack of affordable Supermicro gear in my country, and liking some of the features it has (

What do you guys think?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
The cpu is way overkill and has a GPU that you don't need. For that light Plex work I would get a e3-1230. For 12 disks I think any good quality seasonics power supply is fine, 450w or 550w.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

lukyjay

Contributor
The cpu is way overkill and has a GPU that you don't need. For that light Plex work I would get a e3-1230. For 12 disks I think any good quality seasonics power supply is fine, 450w or 550w.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Hey

Thank you

I thought the CPU was overkill also but in Australia there's only a $50 difference between the 1230 and 1245

I thought with that price Iay as well get the better performer. It might also help for when I hook up my IP cameras, at the same time as plex. What are your thoughts?

snaptec

Guru
It depends on what you do with the IP cams. Just record? Motion Detection? Which Software? Zoneminder? Retranscode? How many cams? 480i streams or 1080p? How many fps?
A single Ip Cam on 352x288 with motion detection and 5 fps can be handled by zoneminder running on a raspi one.
I have a customer with 20+ FullHD motion detection streams at 15 fps loading a e5 2640...

Stux

MVP
That's a 50$ difference for 3% better performance.

Your call.

I would personally get a single 16GB stick of RAM, that way I can hit the full 64GB RAM limit of the CPU.

Dice

Wizard
For 12 drives I'd definitely not go below 650w. If it was my box.

lukyjay

Contributor
It depends on what you do with the IP cams. Just record? Motion Detection? Which Software? Zoneminder? Retranscode? How many cams? 480i streams or 1080p? How many fps?
A single Ip Cam on 352x288 with motion detection and 5 fps can be handled by zoneminder running on a raspi one.
I have a customer with 20+ FullHD motion detection streams at 15 fps loading a e5 2640...
Good point, sorry I forgot to add. 7 720p with motion detection, unsure what software at this point.

Good feedback Stux and Dice. I will aim for a 700w CPU and hide the power bill from the other half. ;)

The reason I chose an 8gb stick is because there were no 16gb ECC sticks on the motherboards compatibility list. I know some ram will work outside of that list though, so I will do what you suggested and start with one stick.

Dice

Wizard
I will aim for a 700w CPU and hide the power bill from the other half.
The powerbill is not directly dictated by the sticker on the PSU. Rather it is a function of realtive load and efficiency (that refers overall to Gold/Platinum branding).
It is definitely possible for a Bronze rated 600w PSU to consume a lot more power from the wall for a given load than a titanium rated PSU.

Needs to be pointed out.

lukyjay

Contributor
So the hardware I've chosen will be stable for freenas? I won't wake up and have no data? I'm unsure if the workstation motherboard is acceptable

Dice

Wizard
I'm unsure if the workstation motherboard is acceptable
And you've decided that charted territory of SuperMicro boards are not within acceptable price.

snaptec

Guru
Good point, sorry I forgot to add. 7 720p with motion detection, unsure what software at this point.

Good feedback Stux and Dice. I will aim for a 700w CPU and hide the power bill from the other half. ;)

The reason I chose an 8gb stick is because there were no 16gb ECC sticks on the motherboards compatibility list. I know some ram will work outside of that list though, so I will do what you suggested and start with one stick.
The 1230 could be enough, depending on fps and software.

So the hardware I've chosen will be stable for freenas? I won't wake up and have no data? I'm unsure if the workstation motherboard is acceptable

Never tried or seen your mobo with freenas, maybe others could give a hint. Supermicros are proven to work, but thats no guarantee they have 0% fail
You still have a backup, right?

lukyjay

Contributor
No, no backup but it's just personal media I download, nothing critical.

I'll give it a go. Best case I can offer advice for others. Worst case, I can use standard raid and Arch Linux (which I'm more familiar with)

Thanks all to the helpful replies

Status
Not open for further replies.