Advice for OpenVPN setup with PIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astrodonkey

Explorer
I'm fairly new to FreeNAS -- very cool product. I've set up a server with a test disk and some plugins (Plex, deluge, etc) and everything is working great.

I'd like to traffic for some of the jails (but not all) through OpenVPN, connected to the PIA service. I've set up an OpenVPN jail and tested this and have it mostly working (other than it seems to drop connection after a few days). The speeds are only slightly below what I would get with a non-encrypted connection, so I am pretty pleased with the performance and would like to pursue this further.

I'm not sure however whether this is the best approach. Does anyone have any advice in this regards? Many of the guides I've seen install OpenVPN in each jail that uses an encrypted tunnel. It seems like I should be able to just set up one OpenVPN jail as I've done and route traffic from each jail through this connection (essentially using it as a gateway). But, this seems to complicate the setup. I've not been able to get it working.

Does anyone have any advice on this kind of setup? I've seen many guides online, but they all seem to be for older versions of FreeNAS or use the approach of OpenVPN installed in each jail. I'd like to leave the setup as I have it, but maybe that's not feasible and I should just route all traffic from the box through OpenVPN, which would imply I should just set it up on the server itself rather than in a jail.

Pretty new to all this so any input is appreciated.

Astrodonkey

Explorer
There is a lengthy and detailed tutorial for just what you are asking somewhere in the forums if you search.

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/24566/

I saw that -- it looks like this approach is running openvpn and transmission in the same jail. I wanted to try sharing a single openvpn jail to be used by all my other jails, if this is feasible... If not, I guess I can just run openvpn in each jail.

Status
Not open for further replies.