AdGuard Home plugin

ptaylor

Cadet
Hi,

I'm running AdGuard Home on my UnRAID installation. How can I go about running it in a jail under FreeNAS?

I found this for iocage, but I'm not sure how to implement it in FreeNAS:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

Teeps

Dabbler

Note, I also had to do a pkg install ca_root_nss in order to get this to work

Last edited:

Apolitosz

Cadet
I'm still on FreeNAS so your YMVV, but this worked for me to spin up an adguard iocage jail:

Code:
echo '{"pkgs":["ca_root_nss","git","nano"]}' > /tmp/pkg.json
iocage create -n "adguard-test" -p /tmp/pkg.json -r 11.3-RELEASE bpf=yes dhcp=on vnet="on" allow_raw_sockets="1" boot="on"
rm /tmp/pkg.json

iocage exec adguard-test 'curl -s https://api.github.com/repos/AdguardTeam/AdGuardHome/releases/latest | grep "AdGuardHome_freebsd_amd64.tar.gz" | cut -d : -f 2,3 | tr -d \" | grep http > /tmp/latest.txt'
iocage exec adguard-test 'cd /tmp && xargs -n 1 curl -OL < /tmp/latest.txt'
iocage exec adguard-test 'tar -xvzf /tmp/AdGuardHome*.tar.gz -C /root && rm /tmp/AdGuardHome*.tar.gz'
iocage exec adguard-test 'curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/rubenverhoef/iocage-plugin-adguard/master/overlay/usr/local/etc/rc.d/adguard --output /tmp/adguard'
iocage exec adguard-test 'cp /tmp/adguard /usr/local/etc/rc.d/adguard && rm /tmp/adguard'
iocage exec adguard-test chmod +x /usr/local/etc/rc.d/adguard
iocage exec adguard-test sysrc "adguard_enable=YES"
iocage exec adguard-test service adguard start

replace adguard-test with your desired jail name

kell490

Cadet
I'm running TrueNAS 12.0.U7 just installed it from the plug browsed to the IP it used popped up with asking for user and password. Only thing I didn't know was the user / password it was admin / admin. That might good idea to add to the plug in let you know it's admin / admin. Once installed followed the setup guide working great.

AdGuard offered a license for extra filtering features which gets around websites that sense ad blockers. Anyone know where you add that license key? Their website shows adding it on the windows version and IOS, android stuff nothing for this version.

kell490

Cadet
I figured out how to block the websites from sensing the adGuard just copy and pasted a custom filter google search fckfckadblock take you to gethub. Every news site was sensing adblocker plus before now works. No need for a license install. This is so nice entire house now has ad blocking.

chravis

Contributor
Has anyone been able to configure a custom block page? I looked at the FAQ here but I don't ever see my custom block page.
I installed the AdGuardHome plugin (I did not install it manually into a jail). It does seem to be working if I go to inappropriate sites, I see the AdGuard block page.
I set up nginx in a new jail where all requests route to a single html page that simply says "this is a test.". I can hit that webpage by going to 192.168.1.8.
Next I configured this url through the AdGuardHome UI as described in the FAQ above. I then also did a search of my whole system to find the adguardhome.yaml file and found two. I updated both of them as described in the FAQ. I then restarted the plugin.
When I go to the inappropriate site, I still see the AdGuard block page instead of my custom page.
Has anyone else tried this?