Additional snapshots on replicated datasets

skek

Dabbler
Hi All,

I have a freenas box running 11.0-U1 (soon to move to 11.2-U3) that is replicating datasets to a backup system on 11.2-U3. This works.

I want to keep or make snapshots on the remote/destination system longer than the source. I do not wish to keep this data around on the primary for capacity reasons.

If I do not "delete stale snapshots on remote system" I end up with many tens of thousands of snapshots on the backup platform that need to be managed independently. If I do delete stale snapshots things are nicely in sync but I lose the above goal.

After the initial sync of a dataset, can I safely snapshot the remote (receive) datasets on the backup server? Can I use the auto-snapshot capabilities in the GUI to create and delete snapshots without impacting those "managed" by the source? (ie, if I use daily/weekly on the source, and monthly on the remote?) or should I do this manually (ie, using a cron and naming the snaps so as to not conflict with the auto system).

Is there a better way, like not deleting stale snapshots in replication settings and instead using a script to prune out most stale ones but leave a monthly for example?

Is this whole idea a bad one?

Thoughts appreciated.

sretalla